Migrate windows to linux mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pegasis
Level 4
Level 4

Migrate windows to linux mint

Post by pegasis »

Hello

Is there a simple, easy way to migrate my data, settings, folders etc from windows 8.1 to Linux mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Migrate windows to linux mint

Post by Moem »

That depends on settings for which software. Firefox, Thunderbird: yes, you can copy the profile folder and paste it into your Linux installation.

The nice thing is that you will generally be able to see your Windows installation and data from Linux (provided they are in the same computer), so you will be able to copy and paste things like images and music.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

I'm not sure this will help much, as it's a bit after-the-fact, but:

I've always used a separate partition for my Data; so I install Linux (whichever Distro) to another partition on the same hard drive and just mount it in Nemo/Nautilus/Dolphin. The only other thing I do is copy my Firefox and Thunderbird profile folders to their respective place in Linux (.mozilla and .thunderbird in Home). Most of my other programs have Linux equivalents.

EDIT: Too late ;)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

All what gets stored in Linux in your home in not hidden folders, can easily get copied over.

In other cases you should ask for the programs you want to use, than we can provide concrete answers. In many cases it is at the end also a job of copying.

Return to “Other topics”