Is My Install Broken?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IrateSalt

Is My Install Broken?

Post by IrateSalt »

I am running Linux Mint v 17.1 (Rebecca) 64-bit on a Dell Latitude E5440.

When I first installed Mint, everything worked perfectly. However, something has happened to my system within the last several months that is driving me crazy. What is happening is whenever I open my laptop and it comes out of sleep, the screen shows this; a black screen with these lines:

Code: Select all

[123456.123456] PM: Device 00:08 failed to resume: error -19
[123456.123456] achi 0000:00:1f.2: port does not support device sleep
[123456.123456] dpm_run_callback(): pnp_bus_resume+0x0/0xa0 returns -19
[123456.123456] [drm:hsw_unclaimed_reg_clear] *ERROR* Unknown unclaimed register before writing to c7204
[123456.123456] [drm:hsw_unclaimed_reg_check] *ERROR* Unclaimed write to c7204
(see this image for what this looks like)

Of course, the numbers in brackets are not actually "123456", but they are 6-digit numbers. This isn't so bothersome, except for the fact that as time progresses, the number of lines increases. They seem to be the exact same lines, but with different 6-digit numbers in the brackets. The last two lines (with *ERROR* in them) do not show up as often as the other 3 lines. After a while, the screen scrolls with a bunch of these lines of errors. After these error messages scroll by, I get my desktop and can use the computer like normal. This, apparently, also affects my performance as my computer slows down to the point I need to reboot. Sometimes, the computer will freeze and I will be forced to reboot.

Like I said, this wasn't happening when i first installed Mint, so something I installed between then and now has done this, but I have no idea what it could be. Has anybody else seen this? Does anybody have an idea of what is wrong or how I can fix it?

Thanks for taking the time to read, and have a good day. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LinuxJim

Re: Is My Install Broken?

Post by LinuxJim »

The number in brackets is simply the timestamp of the message. It will naturally get bigger as time progresses.

The first three lines are a hint that your hardware doesn't fully support sleep mode.

The two error messages are kernel bugs that were fixed long ago. I would upgrade to the latest kernel you can get for your distribution.
Last edited by LinuxJim on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Check Dell support for an update for your BIOS.

Just do a search for "port does not support device sleep" and you will see what I mean.
IrateSalt

Post by IrateSalt »

I do see a BIOS update for my system on Dell.com, but it is an .exe .
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

What do their instructions tell you ?
IrateSalt

Post by IrateSalt »

Ah ... Ok, got it. I need to figure out how to create a "bootable USB key".

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... erId=3TJK5
IrateSalt

Post by IrateSalt »

Hello all. I found the latest BIOS update from Dell for my system. I discovered how to make a USB DOS boot disk from this site. However, this did not fix my problem. I still see the error messages flash up on my screen when I come out of sleep, only this time they zip by MUCH faster; so fast, in fact, that I can no longer take a picture of my screen. I guess the BIOS update did something for me. Like before, the more times I sleep, the more the error messages add up. Any new suggestions?

richyrich

Post by richyrich »

When I did that google search earlier, I read that some users were able to get relief by upgrading their kernel. I can't find which link it was again, but , if you upgrade the kernel, say to the 4.2 version available in the Update Manager, if anything would go bad, you can always reboot into your original kernel. (by holding down the Shift key at boot time to get the Grub boot menu)

Might be something for you to consider/try . .

good luck,
richy
IrateSalt

Post by IrateSalt »

Ok, I updated my kernel to 4.2.0-34, and that presented more problems, so I had to back out to 3.13.0-37. Following are the errors I am seeing at boot-up now:

kernel: [    0.556795] DMAR: Failed to find handle for ACPI object \_SB.PCI0.I2C0
kernel: [    0.556821] DMAR: Failed to find handle for ACPI object \_SB.PCI0.I2C1
kernel: [    0.556845] DMAR: Failed to find handle for ACPI object \_SB.PCI0.UA01
kernel: [    0.556869] DMAR: Failed to find handle for ACPI object \_SB.PCI0.SDHC
kernel: [    0.652035] mmc0: Unknown controller version (3). You may experience problems.
And I found these in my /var/log/kern.log:

kernel: [    5.944882] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20131115/nsarguments-95)
kernel: [    5.944922] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20131115/nsarguments-95)
kernel: [    5.944941] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20131115/nsarguments-95)
kernel: [    5.944960] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20131115/nsarguments-95)
kernel: [    5.944977] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20131115/nsarguments-95)
kernel: [    5.945001] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20131115/nsarguments-95)
kernel: [    5.945031] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20131115/nsarguments-95)
kernel: [    5.945049] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20131115/nsarguments-95)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

If the 4.2 series doesn't work, have you considered trying the 3.16 or 3.19 series of kernels?
(you can also use the Update Manager's kernel window to un-install/remove the kernels that do not work)
IrateSalt

Post by IrateSalt »

Installing 3.16.0-57 and 3.19.0-56 didn't do the trick either. Same error message as before.

Return to “Other topics”