Updates and Live USB

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Updates and Live USB

Post by felemur »

I was just wondering, if I make a live USB of Mint to move from computer to computer, can I do updates to keep it current like a normal installation, and can I install software like Chromium browser to the live usb?

Jaso
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Updates and Live USB

Post by Jaso »

Live boot only loads in to RAM as far as I know. You can install software and it will run just fine but as soon as you turn the computer off their all gone :(
Its a great way to check out software before you commit to an install. You can save your personal files to the Windows C: drive! It will be visible in your home folder. I suppose that you could save an app with all of it's dependencies to the windows C: drive but I'm not sure if you could get Linux Mint to pull from it. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.
User of Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” Cinnamon Edition. I converted over a Windows Vista machine the first time I tried Linux Mint. Now it's all I want to use!
God bless!

SOCRATE_MMXII
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII »

@felemur: using persistence, you can install software and keep that updated on your USB stick. The only thing you can't do are security updates and update the kernel.
Linux Mint 17.3 can use a persistent file called casper-rw which is limited to 4GB. Linux Mint 17.2 can use a persistent partition called casper-rw and can be as big as you want and use a file system of your choice.
The procedure to create a persistent USB is very simple using Unetbootin.
If you want a persistent partition then you have to do an extra step: delete the casper-rw file created with Unetbootin and name the partition casper-rw.
I am the Light, the Way, the Life.

felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

OK, thanks for both responses. I knew using the live .iso that nothing changed would stay once powered down. I was hoping to actually do an install to a SSD in an external enclosure that plugs into the USB. However, if I can't do security updates, then I'll have to pass on that idea. Thanks again.

theStreak
Level 3
Level 3

Post by theStreak »

Actually, there shouldn't be a problem with doing a regular, full install to your external drive.
Practice safe computing -- use a live CD

felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

theStreak wrote:Actually, there shouldn't be a problem with doing a regular, full install to your external drive.
I just saw your response, thanks, I'll try it and reply back with the results.

Return to “Other topics”