Delayed launch from taskbar

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Delayed launch from taskbar

Post by BoDill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Starting a few days ago (I've been using LINUX for years), when I launch anything from the taskbar (like Google or the news) I get about a quarter-screen size picture for a second or two, then the full screen opens, and things get back to normal. First of all, this is not a major problem, and I can live with it, but I would like to know what causes it to happen. Second, at about the same time that this started happening, I found that any moving picture (or video?) would run for a few seconds and then stop for a few seconds, and then run for a few more seconds, and continue on this way. After a day or so of this, I simply turned everything of at the modem, and when I restarted, the video delays are gone, but the taskbar hesitation is still there. So; can anyone tell me what is going on? As in what causes such things to happen? And is there a cure for the taskbar hesitation?

As usual, thank you in advance,
BoDill

Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Delayed launch from taskbar

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Create a new user account. Is the problem reproducible there?

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Cosmo,
Sadly, I Googled, "User account in Linux" and got several answers, and the one that I opened looked very intimidating. Can you suggest some place where I can learn how to open a new user account for Linux Mint (to serve this purpose)?

Also, I have two nearly identical computers (this one is a Dell GX520, the other is a Dell GX620), and this one has only Linux installed while the other has only Windows XP. A few minutes ago I fired up the Windows computer to see if it shared the same problem on getting from the taskbar to a website, and it does not. Just now, when I restarted the GX520, and clicked on "Google" in the taskbar, I got the same "quarter screen then full screen" thing happening. I don't know if this information is helpful, but I thought I should add it to the information available.

Again,
Thank you,
BoDill
Last edited by BoDill on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:09 pm

In Mint this kind of thing can very easily be done through the GUI. In the menu, find 'Users and Groups' and you're on your way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:12 pm

BoDill wrote:Can you suggest some place where I can learn how to open a new user account for Linux Mint?
Here. :wink:

Users & Groups, as given already by Moem, should be in our menu. But this does actually depend from your desktop environment, which we do not yet know, so please tell us. If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

Paste this info in the starting post of every thread in the forum that you create.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:22 pm

To Cosmo and Moem,

While you were entering your suggestions, I was adding to my last post. Now, while I try what you have suggested, give me a half hour or so to try to figure this stuff out (I am NOT computer savvy).

Thank you again,
BoDill

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:25 pm

This is what I got....

bodill@bodill-OptiPlex-GX520 ~ $ inxi -Sz
System: Host: bodill-OptiPlex-GX520 Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
bodill@bodill-OptiPlex-GX520 ~ $

Is this what you wanted?

Note: I just tried what Moen suggested, but a window opened up and asked for my password, and when I entered the password, it told me that it wasn't my password. Now what!!??

BoDill
Last edited by BoDill on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:36 pm

BoDill wrote: Just now, when I restarted the GX520, and clicked on "Google" in the taskbar, I got the same "quarter screen then full screen" thing happening.
What is the application that opens when you click on 'Google' in your panel (that's the Mint name for the taskbar)?

By the way, when I open my browser (Seamonkey) I see a similar effect: it first opens in a smaller window, then takes the whole screen as it's supposed to do. This has never bothered me at all, maybe because i don't close and open my browser more often than every two weeks or so.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:42 pm

BoDill wrote:Is this what you wanted?
Yes. It tells us, that you use the Mate desktop environment.

Now look for Users & Groups in the menu (if you have a non-English system open the menu and enter users, this should point to the right entry) and add a new account. When it exists, log out of your main account, you will now see the new account and you can enter it.

Regarding the password: How do you log in into your primary account: Automatically or by entering your password?

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Moem,
You're getting ahead of me again. I'm not sure what you mean by your question, but I believe the answer is, "Google". Again, when I click on Google in the "panel", I get a quarter screen size window of GOOGLE, and then a full size window a second or two later. Again, this does NOT happen when I do the same thing with Windows XP.

BoDill

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:46 pm

BoDill wrote:Moem,
You're getting ahead of me again. I'm not sure what you mean by your question, but I believe the answer is, "Google".
Google is not an application, it's a website. Is there any writing in the very top border of that window? If so, what does it say?
And how did you get that button on your panel in the first place? Knowing that might help, as well.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Moem,

The following appears in the top border, after a cirlce with the letter "i" in it and a locked padlock;

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

I don't remember things very well, but I think that I got Google into my panel by somehow creating a clickable icon on my desktop and then dragging it down to the panel. It was awhile ago, so I'm not real sure, but I have a few things in there including a link to the stock market and to Yahoo mail. I'm pretty sure that I got the images by Googling the item by name, for example "NEWS". Then I somehow attached "Yahoo news" to that icon, etc.

Like I said, it was awhile ago, and at 70 years old and after open heart surgery, my memory is junk. If you want a more complete description of the process, let me know and give me an e-mail address or some place to post the info and I'll try to duplicate whatever it was that I did, and let you know.

BoDill

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Moem,

I'm going to try to answer your question about "how I got the button on my panel in the first place". Any buttons that I have on my desktop I got by opening the webpage (if that's the right word) and clicking on a small circle with a small letter "i" in it which is in the left end of the panel at the top of the screen, and dragging it out onto the desktop. When it gets out on the desktop, it becomes a dogeared page with the proper name under it. Then I usually change the name to some short thing that doesn't take up much space under the "page". After that, I simply drag the page down to the panel, and it puts a clickable mark on the panel. Then, if I right-click on the mark. a box opens that allows me to assign a graphic to the mark (for instance, I put a small stock chart on my Dow Jones connection).

If I have not described this clearly, let me know and I'll try to explain it again.

BoDill

Return to “Other topics”