Ubuntu Snaps and linux Mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jonnymoon96
Level 1
Level 1

Ubuntu Snaps and linux Mint

Post by jonnymoon96 »

Will Ubuntu snaps affect Linux mint since Linux mint is based on Ubuntu and its repositories. if so is Ubuntu snaps a good or a bad thing

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Ubuntu Snaps and linux Mint

Post by deepakdeshp »

Already there are distros based on Ubuntu.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/06/5-ub ... real-thing
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

deepakdeshp, I don't see how that answer has anything to do with the question that was asked. The article you linked to says nothing about Ubuntu's Snap package system.

jonnymoon96, the last I heard, Snap was being considered for a future Mint, but no decision had been made. (Not from official sources, I think, just scuttlebutt around the forums.) My guess would be that Mint will probably support both Snaps and the traditional .deb package method, at least for the short term. I have read about Snap packages, and it sounds like a good way to get some programs that might not otherwise be available, so I suppose it could be a good thing. You will probably find other opinions about this.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

bmstrong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bmstrong »

Driving this back to the top. I can install snapd into Mint but I can't call the program. Specifically: The snap command recognizes that I have the specific snap installed, can and does an install, remove and update without issue. After a lsblk, I can confirm that it's mounted to the file system.

What piece of the puzzle and I missing?

cossio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cossio »

I am having the same issue. I installed a snap package but I cannot run it.

Cinnamik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cinnamik »

I assume you installed the snap via ppa:snappy-dev/tools for mint 18, if so, after installing new snaps you should be able to see new symlinks under /snap/bin/. For example, to use wormhole you could run it like so /snap/bin/wormhole send

Return to “Other topics”