[SOLVED] Remove old Mint system files from dual-boot + grub-update? How-to

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Remove old Mint system files from dual-boot + grub-update? How-to

Post by Scott65 »

Hi

I have a dual-boot system with LM13 on a partition and I want to free up the space used by OS system files on that partition. I want to save my ~home folder on that partition because I use it for storage.
I could #root and just delete everything and leave /home on that partition. But what about grub-update afterwards? Mainly because the default boot partition isn't #1 on the grub menu...

What's the easiest way to do this?
thx
Last edited by Scott65 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Remove old Mint system files from dual-boot + grub-update? How-to

Post by austin.texas »

If you are in the process of deleting Mint 13, and you have a different linux OS installed, simply boot into the other OS.
Update Grub:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Install Grub to the MBR:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
NOTE: That command assumes you want Grub installed to sda, not sdb
After that, the Mint 13 root partition can be cleaned of all files and folders except the ones in /home that you want to keep.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scott65 »

Hi thnx for the response.

I have 17.2 on sda1 (bootable) (according to the "Disk" utility) which is what I auto boot into. (I'm using the 17.2 version now)
And LM13 is on partition sda2. For some reason it's switched around in the Grub menu... I can't remember why now.. I think I reloaded 13 again after 17 on that partition... and I had to edit some grub file to defualt=1 or something later to auto-boot into 17...

This stuff always makes me leery... I don't want to have to boot off a USB and try to fix it... If I can get grub to boot up without even seeing the old Mint 13 before I start deleting that would be great... thnx for the help.
I haven't tried anything yet...
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Just follow the previous suggestions to install Grub to /dev/sda
Mint 17.2 will then appear at the top of the Grub menu. When you see that, you will know that 17.2 is controlling the Grub menu, and Mint 13 can be removed.
Then after Mint 13 is removed, you can run sudo update-grub again, and since Mint 13 is gone, it will then be removed from your Grub menu.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Remove old Mint system files from dual-boot + grub-update? How-to

Post by Scott65 »

Yeah it worked. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Other topics”