How to enable 3 button emulation in 18.1 XFCE? <SOLVED>

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

How to enable 3 button emulation in 18.1 XFCE? <SOLVED>

Post by jimallyn »

In every Linux distribution I have used in the past, you could copy by simply selecting the text, and paste by clicking both mouse buttons simultaneously. But you can't do this in XFCE. (Selecting text copies it, but clicking both mouse buttons simultaneously doesn't paste it.) I posted about this 2 years ago, and nobody seemed to know at that time how to enable three button emulation. Searching with Google, it appears that still nobody knows how to do this. I assumed it would be in xorg.conf, but I couldn't find that file. Further Googling suggested that an xorg.conf file would be created by running nvidia-xconfig, and indeed it did create an xorg.conf file in /etc/x11/. In this file, I found Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no". Aha, I thought. Nope. I changed "no" to "yes" and rebooted. Still no 3 button emulation. Anybody know how to do this? (Yes, I know that middle click will paste, but I've been clicking both buttons for 14 years now, and I really don't want to have to change that habit. Besides, the middle button is also the scroll wheel. It clicks funny, and sometimes it scrolls at the same time.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to enable 3 button emulation in 18.1 XFCE?

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think Xfce has an option for that. At least not one that I could find. I've only found the option in Cinnamon.

Perhaps this will work https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Quirks#A2-button_Mice
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to enable 3 button emulation in 18.1 XFCE?

Post by jimallyn »

That does it, xenopeek. Thanks a bunch!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Other topics”