[Solved] [LM 18.1 / Cinnamon 3.2.7] Shut down and Nemo issues

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] [LM 18.1 / Cinnamon 3.2.7] Shut down and Nemo issues

Post by HarryF »

Hi everybody!

Three years ago I became a Linux Mint user after more than 20 years of Windows usage. And I'm still glad that I switched, but...

...two issues are getting more and more annoying and both problems appear after the pc ist running for a few hours.

1. Nemo isn't working anymore. I can't start it and when I try to save a file (f.e. a Gimp file) it's impossible to do that because the file manager doesn't show anything in the save file window.
2. My pc doesn't shut down. It hangs with the Mint logo in the middle of the screen but I have to switch the power off to complete the shut down process.

I looked through this forum but couldn't find any help (maybe I used the wrong search phrases).

I got a new pc a few weeks ago and I hoped that would solve the problems but it didn't. Anyway, my PC configuration is:
  • - Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit (3.2.7)
    - Kernel 4.8.0-49-generic
    - Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz x 4
    - 12 GB RAM
    - 128 GB SSD HD
    - 500 GB internal HD (Windows partition for Dual Boot)
    - 3 TB external HD (USB 3.0) (mounted via fstab into some home folders)
    - Nvidia graphics card using nvidia-375 driver (version 375.39)
Can anyone please help me to solve this annoying problems. I'm not sure where I can look what these issues causes. I looked into some log files but that wasn't helpful for me. I'm far from beeing a technical noob but Linux still isn't that familiar to me like windows is. If you need more information let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Harry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [LM 18.1 / Cinnamon 3.2.7] Shut down and Nemo issues

Post by austin.texas »

If you create a new user, and log in as that user, do the Nemo and shutdown problems still exist?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

I don't know but I will check it. Thanks!
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Hi again,

now I was able to check it with a new user. Same problems. I logged in with the new account, let the pc running for 1 1/2 hour without working on it and after this I couldn't start nemo as well as shut down the computer.

Any idea?

Harry
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

The problem is still existing and getting more and more anoying.

Can I provide any more information to find a solution?

If not I guess I'll switch to another distribution. It's a pity but I don't know what else I could do.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

What happens if you refresh Cinnamon? Alt-F2 and command r - or right-click on the Panel > Troubleshoot > Restart Cinnamon.

You can re-install to the same root partition without formatting the partition. You would have to re-create any PPA's that you have, but everything else will be preserved.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi harryf hi austin...is it possible these problems are occuring due to using a kernel that is not in the linux mint "approved kernels"...to my understanding, it is STRONGLY SUGGESTED that one stay within the 4.4.kernel series which at present is 4.4.0-78.99...i notice that your showingl "Kernel 4.8.0-49-generic"...the 4.8 and above series kernels are generally not suggested for use unless there is an overwhelmingly good reason such as extremely new hardware installed or added to the system...sometimes i believe a kernel regression back to the 4.4 series kernel just may solve the problem...hope this is of some help...DAMIEN
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

austin.texas wrote:What happens if you refresh Cinnamon? Alt-F2 and command r - or right-click on the Panel > Troubleshoot > Restart Cinnamon.
When I try to restart cinnamon the screen remains black and I have to reboot the pc.
austin.texas wrote:You can re-install to the same root partition without formatting the partition. You would have to re-create any PPA's that you have, but everything else will be preserved.
I don't think that it is a problem with the installation because I had this issue with my old PC and I have it with the new one (with a fresh LM installation).
DAMIEN1307 wrote:hi harryf hi austin...is it possible these problems are occuring due to using a kernel that is not in the linux mint "approved kernels"...to my understanding, it is STRONGLY SUGGESTED that one stay within the 4.4.kernel series which at present is 4.4.0-78.99...i notice that your showingl "Kernel 4.8.0-49-generic"...the 4.8 and above series kernels are generally not suggested for use unless there is an overwhelmingly good reason such as extremely new hardware installed or added to the system...sometimes i believe a kernel regression back to the 4.4 series kernel just may solve the problem...hope this is of some help...DAMIEN
Thanks für your hint. I downloaded the official LM 18.1 version from the LM web side and didn't change anything except the regular updates. And I also had this problem (less bad) with the LM 17/17.1.

When I now think about it I guess it is one of my installed applications that causes this problems but I have no clue which one.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@HarryF:

You wrote, that you have a new PC with Mint 18.1 since a few weeks, but from my understanding this problem existed already in the previous (Mint 17.x?) system. Correct?

It appears strange, that you get the same problem on 2 different hardware with 2 different system (3 years ago there did no Mint 18.x exist). So I wonder, how did you set up the new system? Is it a copy of the old system and did you do an upgrade with the mintupgrade tool or is it a fresh new install?

Another note: Doing a hard power down with the power button can easily damage the file system. You should never do this!

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo touch /forcefsck
The next time you reboot all partitions of your system will get checked. Note, that this boot up will take significantly longer; give it the needed time.

In case, that you get the next time in the situation, that the computer does not properly shut down, do this:
Press and hold the alt key and the print key together. While holding them enter those letters, one after the other and with a little break between them: r e i s u b. After the last letter the computer will immediately reboot. If you want to shut down, replace the last letter b with an o.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

HarryF wrote:When I now think about it I guess it is one of my installed applications that causes this problems but I have no clue which one.
An application - in difference to a system component - does usually not do anything, until you start it - except you would have added it to autostart. So it should be doable, to identify it.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Hi cosmo,

thanks for your suggestions.
Cosmo. wrote:You wrote, that you have a new PC with Mint 18.1 since a few weeks, but from my understanding this problem existed already in the previous (Mint 17.x?) system. Correct?
Yes, that's right and that's why I think that any application I installed in addition to the standard software causes this problem.
Cosmo. wrote:It appears strange, that you get the same problem on 2 different hardware with 2 different system (3 years ago there did no Mint 18.x exist). So I wonder, how did you set up the new system? Is it a copy of the old system and did you do an upgrade with the mintupgrade tool or is it a fresh new install?
It's always a fresh installation. I only copied some hidden config folders of the home folder to the new system to get my programs work as before.
Cosmo. wrote:Another note: Doing a hard power down with the power button can easily damage the file system. You should never do this!
You can bet I know this but what could i do to switch off my PC.
Cosmo. wrote:Open a terminal and enter

sudo touch /forcefsck
The next time you reboot all partitions of your system will get checked. Note, that this boot up will take significantly longer; give it the needed time.
I did it and it was pretty fast done (just a few seconds).
Cosmo. wrote:In case, that you get the next time in the situation, that the computer does not properly shut down, do this:
Press and hold the alt key and the print key together. While holding them enter those letters, one after the other and with a little break between them: r e i s u b. After the last letter the computer will immediately reboot. If you want to shut down, replace the last letter b with an o.
You're just joking, right ;-) ? The ALT key and the PRINT key are on opposite sides of my keyboard. I don't have three arms or gigantic hands to do this :-D .

EDIT: OK, it was a bit complicated but I got it. Let's see if it works when the systems hangs next time.
Last edited by HarryF on Sat May 20, 2017 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Cosmo. wrote:
HarryF wrote:When I now think about it I guess it is one of my installed applications that causes this problems but I have no clue which one.
An application - in difference to a system component - does usually not do anything, until you start it - except you would have added it to autostart. So it should be doable, to identify it.
That was an important hint, I guess.

On my system are two applications I additionally installed that are starting with the system:
- Variety
- Cairo-Dock

And two nVidia programs are also starting. As far as I could read in some forums there are a few problems with the nVidia driver set.

I will check if one of these programs are the reason for the problems.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

HarryF wrote:Hi Cosmo,

Cosmo. wrote:You wrote, that you have a new PC with Mint 18.1 since a few weeks, but from my understanding this problem existed already in the previous (Mint 17.x?) system. Correct?
Yes, that's right and that's why I think that any application I installed in addition to the standard software causes this problem.
Cosmo. wrote:It appears strange, that you get the same problem on 2 different hardware with 2 different system (3 years ago there did no Mint 18.x exist). So I wonder, how did you set up the new system? Is it a copy of the old system and did you do an upgrade with the mintupgrade tool or is it a fresh new install?
It's always a fresh installation. I only copied some hidden config folders of the home folder to the new system to get my programs work as before.
Cosmo. wrote:Another note: Doing a hard power down with the power button can easily damage the file system. You should never do this!

sudo touch /forcefsck
Cosmo. wrote:In case, that you get the next time in the situation, that the computer does not properly shut down, do this:
You're just joking, right ;-) ? The ALT key and the PRINT key are on opposite sides of my keyboard. I don't have three arms or gigantic hands to do this :-D .

EDIT: OK, it was a bit complicated but I got it. Let's see if it works when the systems hangs next time.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Hi Cosmo,

sudo touch /forcefsck

HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Maybe I found the reason for my problems.

Although I'm not definitely sure I guess the wallpaper changing causes that my system acts in such strange way after a while. Because I've a huge image gallery I changed the wallpaper every 5 minutes. I tested variety and wallch and with both programs I ran into these problems. Now after uninstalling all changers the system seems to work fine (I'm still testing).

The question ist why changing the wallpaper in a frequency of 5 minutes has such an effect. Are these wallpaper changers possibly working with GTK? From time to time I also have problems with Pix and starting it using the terminal I get a lot of GTK errors.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

OK, after three days of testing I can say that it was NOT the wallpaper changer. Although I think that it took longer without changer until the pc showed its strange behaviour it finally did.

So I again have no idea where or what to search. Frustrating!

I'd appreciate any further help.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I reread your starting post and then there came the question into my mind: When did the problems appear at first? Obviously not 3 years ago, Mint 18.1 was not even in the beginning of development at that time. Which changes to the system had taken place shortly before this time?
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

A good question. I can't remember. I know that I also had it with LM 17.x and I know that I don't have this problems with my notebook (LM 17.2) but I seldom work with it for longer.

When I think about changes I made to the standard system I see:
  • I added an external HD but that can't be the reason because I replaced an old 1.5 TB with an 3 TB and had the problems with both.
  • I mount a shared drive from a windows pc and a few folders from the 3 TB external drive to my home folder using fstab.
  • I'm using the nvidia 375 driver.
From my windows experience I would say the problem looks like a memory problem but the the memory check showed no errors and that wouldn't explain why I have the problems also with my new pc (with new memory).

As far as I see I guess I have to live with that damn problem or have to change the distribution. Maybe Linux Mint isn't the convenient distribution for what I'm doing with the pc.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

HarryF wrote:I know that I also had it with LM 17.x and I know that I don't have this problems with my notebook (LM 17.2)
My guess is either a problem with the hardware or the firmware or the NVidia driver. Does it help to switch to nouveau?
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Cosmo. wrote:My guess is either a problem with the hardware or the firmware or the NVidia driver. Does it help to switch to nouveau?
Just tried it and no. With the nouveau driver the system only starts with one screen (I have two) and a message appears that the graphic card is running without video acceleration.

Yesterday I downloaded Debian 8 Cinnamon but I'm pretty unsure about the installation of a new Linux. It's because I don't know if these problems are coming from Linux of from Cinnamon (or from elsewhere). It's a lot of work to get the configuration to the point of my current system and I have the fear a new installation doesn't solve the problem.

Return to “Other topics”