[SOLVED] "/" directory permissions changed somehow...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
W_T

[SOLVED] "/" directory permissions changed somehow...

Post by W_T »

I've just realized that my "/" directory permissions have been changed to drwxrwxrwx somehow. It has been discovered by me when I was checking ufw status - there was an information that my "/" directory is group and world writable.
I know how to revert it to the "normal" state (drwxr-xr-x), but my question is: how it happened in the first place?
I'm using LM 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: "/" directory permissions changed somehow...

Post by Cosmo. »

Short answer: Not on its own.

Did you play anywhere with the chmod command?
W_T

Post by W_T »

I didn't use chmod since last install.
I've found similar issues:
viewtopic.php?t=224238
viewtopic.php?t=162869
But I have still no clue regarding the cause.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no hint in the linked threads, why this had happened there. Fact is: This doesn't happen on its own. It did never happen on any of my systems in years. And there are not really many complaints, what would be expected, if this would a kind of bug and happen repeatedly. So there must be a special cause on your side, but from the distant impossible to analyze, if chmod (or any equivalent) has never been used.

Only a guess: Did you ever created a network share for the complete file system?
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

How interesting.

I came here to post the exact same question. Very same circumstances too, I tried to add a firewall rule with gufw and got an error which led me to / with 777 permissions. I too have changed it back to 755. I didn't change it to 777 myself ever. I ran tiger and it said kernoops has / as a home directory. A google search came up with a post that it is normal for tiger to say that.

That's as far as I am atm.

LM 18.1 Mate
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

A small update. I've just discovered that ufw is turning itself off and iptables -L shows no rules so I think I have a rootkit on my system.
I've been thinking about switching to LMDE anyway so I'll just reinstall.

Looking back I'm pretty sure I messed something up since I was doing a lot of experimenting knowing that it was a temp system and I would reinstall anyway. I'll be leaving the experimenting to a virtual machine after I get LMDE installed though.
W_T

Post by W_T »

Cosmo. wrote:Only a guess: Did you ever created a network share for the complete file system?
I'm not sharing, but rather accessing Windows machine shares from this one.
I don't recall performing any administrative tasks which would require dealing with directory permissions.
I was just playing with some live-session distros, audio apps and JACK. Regarding ufw: I've only enabled it and allowed incomming connections through BitTorrent port.
Strange thing...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

W_T wrote:I was just playing with some live-session distros...
This is the only point in the list, where I could possibly imagine a relationship to your problem - depending what you played and if the hard drive was somehow involved.
W_T

Post by W_T »

Cosmo, Your assumption was correct.
Running the live session of AV Linux (isotester-avl64-2016.8.30 in this case) was the cause of it. I have checked twice with the same result every time. I didn't even touch anything within the file system during the live session - just run it and then reboot back to Mint.
Later I have found out that permissions altering is a standard and documented feature of AV Linux live session.
For me the issue is solved. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Other topics”