FaceBook say : "Your Linux Machine may be infected" ! (Solved)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

FaceBook say : "Your Linux Machine may be infected" ! (Solved)

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

I never heard that before ...FaceBook say : "Your Linux Machine may be infected" !
And "You should scan with a Virus scanner"
????
I have just formatted the PC. Who is stationary.
And I have only Linux Mint on the machine.
I do not use Wine ...
Is this serious ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint MATE 18 * Sara * 32 Bit
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: FaceBook say : "Your Linux Machine may be incefted" !

Post by Schultz »

Is it a pop-up on Facebook? Or what? I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot. If there are links on whatever it is, I definitely would NOT click on them!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I would also like to see a screenshot of that. My guess is that it is a paid advertisement. Install the uBlock Origin and Privacy Protector Plus extensions to your browser.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Scam. Pure and simple.

Go on that page with a Mac or a Windows machine and It'll tell you there is a virus on that machine too. ( Websites/pages know what OS you're using unless you spoof it ).

I think its highly unlikely this is a genuine page from Facebook and its more along the lines of a fake looking site, like ISP scammers create to trick people into entering their credit card details. Look at the page address ( don't be tempted to post it here to protect others ) it may say "facebook" in it but will probably be preceded by something else with a dot splitting it, typical scammer tactic. As others say Install uBlock Origin and a Privacy Protector in your browser and read up on some basic browser security tips here on the forums.

I've never heard of it happening on a Linux machine, Linux users tend to be more knowledgeable anyway, but a common way to trick people is to install a malicious browser extension that will re-direct to a scam page when certain criteria are met... you go on facebook, it recognizes this then re-directs you to the fake facebook page. So check the extension list in the browser you were using at the time and remove anything that you don't 100% know what it is. Genuine extensions like uBlock Origin, Addblock plus, no script etc will help protect you from picking up these nasties in the first place.

Yeah I'd be interested to see a screenshot too but remember any web page, or indeed lowlife that calls your home, telling you you have a virus is a scam. Don't fall for it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Jørn Rudolph",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Do not click anything from the message... just click cancel or x to close the message ...

How are you accessing Facebook through a browser, Messenger for Desktop, etc...? Are you using Firejail for your browser and Internet enabled applications?

What were you doing in FB when you got this message?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

phd21 wrote:
... just click cancel or x to close the message ...
If it's a scam that might not be good advice. I wouldn't click on anything. Remember how MS tricked people with their pop-ups urging people to update to W10? Clicking the X was the same as accepting the offer.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Schultz wrote:
phd21 wrote:
If it's a scam that might not be good advice. I wouldn't click on anything. Remember how MS tricked people with their pop-ups urging people to update to W10? Clicking the X was the same as accepting the offer.
Good point.

Just open terminal and enter

killall firefox

or whatever browser/service you were using. That'll get rid of it.
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

Thank you VERY MUCH -

A
No, sorry - I do not have a screen shot ...
B
No - I did not click on anything !
C
Well - It came out of "The blue air" - Just like that ... Did not do anything different. (I believe)
D
I have u block Orgin and Cookie Monster. But no more add-ons in Firefox -
Besides that it was in Pale Moon - Where I also have uBlock Orgin + Cookie Monster.
E
I have not seen it again .... (So far)
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz", "Jørn Rudolph", etc...
Schultz wrote:
phd21 wrote:
There is some truth to this, clicking the "x" or closing the pop-up window(s) might also be a trick to initiate executing a bad command. In which case, closing (killing) the browser or Facebook application would be better... If you are using "Firejail" sandboxing application, you should be alright regardless.

A little while ago I had a virus ransomware message in my Linux Chrome Browser which told me not to close anything, so the first I thing I did was to close (Kill) the browser (hit CTRL-ALT-ESC, mouse cursor changes, then clicked the application's window (browser or FB application) titlebar to kill that (similar to "killall firefox" from the console prompt), and then restarted it, and all was ok...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

If Facebook says, it must be true, right?
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

I THANK You - For your advise ...

Have a Nice day
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: FaceBook say : "Your Linux Machine may be infected" ! (Solved)

Post by Schultz »

There's some interesting info about this at this link: http://jackyan.com/blog/2016/01/if-face ... around-it/

Apparently, after downloading the recommended scanner, some people could no longer log in to Facebook. Comment #16 shows a way around that.
Rohitasch

Re: FaceBook say : "Your Linux Machine may be infected" ! (Solved)

Post by Rohitasch »

This is what it looks like. Got one for the first time today.

Return to “Other topics”