[ANSWERED] New Distros and Home Encryption

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Memoox
Level 1
Level 1

[ANSWERED] New Distros and Home Encryption

Post by Memoox »

Hello everyone.

I wasn't sure if I should post this here, or if there's another thread related. Forgive me if there is.

So I've been installing a lot of distros, so far Mint KDE seems awesome, only because cinnamon started to crash on me. Anyway, after a lot of installations I wanted to encrypt the home folder, seems easy but should i do this if i keep installing distros?. Fox example, I'm waiting on 18.2 to come out but I really want to have a separate partition with my private data in it. How can I do this if I keep installing new distros?. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Memoox on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: New Distros and Home Encryption

Post by Cosmo. »

In case of a minor version upgrade (18.x -> 18.2) encryption will be no problem. In case of major version upgrade it is crucial, that user name, user UID and password is very identical in the new and the old install.

In any case: backup, backup, backup (your user data). This is true in any case, but the importance is dramatically higher in case of encryption.

You might also consider to store especially sensitive data in an encrypted folder, instead of encrypting home completely. Far less work, far less risk.

Memoox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Memoox »

Thanks for the response Cosmo.

The whole idea came to me when I was doing backup. Is just private information that I want to keep for myself. Normally I would use 7z with encryption for a folder i want secure, but i can't really work with it because it's compressed.

But encrypting just a folder would be nice. One thing though, right now i just installed again 18.1, if I encrypt the home folder, after installing 18.2, is there a guide to put everything the way it was?.

Thanks a lot

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

As said, in case of a minor upgrade (like 18.1 -> 18.2) all what you have set up will not get changed. No need to set up anything again.

As you mentioned backup: Take a look at Back in Time, a very fine and reliable backup software. It offers the possibility to do the backups encrypted.

Memoox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Memoox »

Thanks Cosmo. I'll look into that.

Should I put [SOLVED] on the thread's title? Haha.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

This is your decision. But marking it instead as <ANSWERED> seems to be better here.

Return to “Other topics”