Recovery Partition

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mattzab
Level 1
Level 1

Recovery Partition

Post by mattzab »

I use Timeshift to back up my system. This is a total waste. I restored a snapshot successfully, and upon rebooting, I have no networking capability, and sudo is broken, along with plenty of other stuff.
I restored several other snapshots- same thing. So Timeshift is actually more harm than it is good, in my experience. I tried from within the system and from Live media.

As a result, I'm reinstalling a fresh mint system altogether, and posting this from the live media.
In order to make this process a little more straightforward, should I need to go through it in the future, I'd like to use Pinguy Builder to make ISOs of my system from time to time, with the apps I use and the menu layout and system tweaks I appreciate using. Then I'd like to have this ISO on a special tiny partition on my hard drive, so that if my primary system crashes, I can 'dual boot' into the live system that has my custom ISO and I can do my fresh install from there.

What is the best way to accomplish this task?

Alternatively, if someone knows of a reliable backup/restore method, much unlike that Timeshift garbage, which was so simple and straightforward that it couldn't be botched... I'd love to know about it. Preferably something that doesn't clone my entire disk like clonezilla, but more like a version of timeshift that does what it advertises.

Thanks,
Matt
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Recovery Partition

Post by Jim Hauser »

Many of the experts on this forum have recommended Back in Time. QT5 FSArchiver does a good job of backing up used data only (not the whole partition.)
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

another archiving program is LuckyBackUP, which is just a front-end for Rsync.

yet other folks will say to use the Linux command DD - from a Terminal.

and yet, others, like myself, would say to use the Gparted program, to backup your partition.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Take a look at qt4-fsarchiver (for Mint 17.x) respectively qt5-fsarchiver (for Mint 18).
You need one of these PPAs: ppa:dieterbaum/qt4-fsarchiver,, ppa:dieterbaum/qt5-fsarchiver-64-bit,, or ppa:dieterbaum/qt5-fsarchiver-32-bit.

Return to “Other topics”