Extracting zip & bz2 - different commands?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Extracting zip & bz2 - different commands?

Post by Schultz »

I use the terminal command sudo unzip to unzip a particular .zip archive into a password protected folder. Does this command not work on tar.bz2 archives? I tried it to update my Firefox ESR version but it failed. I did get the new FF-esr installed by extracting the Firefox folder into a non-password protected folder and then repacking it into a .zip file and then running "sudo unzip." But that's tedious. Is there a different command for .bz2 archives?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Extracting zip & bz2 - different commands?

Post by jimallyn »

http://logicassembly.com/linux/decompre ... tm?ext=bz2

I usually do them from the file manager: right click, Extract here. More information available on doing it from the command line by entering man tar in a terminal. Not sure how the password protected folder affects the normal operation of tar or the file manager.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I always do that from file manager ... I hit "extract here" unless there's something different needed. Had enough CLI in the 80s.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Okay, but how to download the bz2 into a password protected folder? I got a message from my browser telling my I couldn't download there.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

How do you get anything else into the password protected folder? You could download it to your Downloads folder, then transfer it to the password protected folder the same way you put anything else in there.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Okay, thanks. Just looking to do this in the least amount of steps as possible.

Return to “Other topics”