DuckDuckGo doesn't work..[Solved itself]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

DuckDuckGo doesn't work..[Solved itself]

Post by Jerry N »

Today, August 15, DuckDuckGo doesn't work for me in Mint 17.3 or Mint 18.2 (different machines). I tried it in both Google Chrome and in FireFox.
It works fine in Windows 7 in Google Chrome.
Anyone else having a problem?

Jerry Nicholson
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: DuckDuckGo doesn't work in Mint 17.3, 18.2

Post by MintBean »

Works fine here in 18.2/Firefox.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Don't have 18.x installed but it just worked fine with Chrome in 17.3. Both duckduckgo.com and the Chrome plugin. DId a quick search but I didn't see anything relevant.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
now3by
Level 2
Level 2

Post by now3by »

No problem in Mint 17.3 XFCE for Chrome, Firefox, SeaMonkey.
Linux...
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerry N »

It's working again now. I guess I just needed to wait a few minutes
Sorry to have wasted Mint Forum bandwidth.

Jerry
DAMIEN1307

Re: DuckDuckGo doesn't work..[Solved itself]

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

duckduckgo went down for quite a while on the 15th/16th...the reason why is that it is reliant on both bing and yahoo(oath) search engines that took the deep dive down yesterday resulting in browsers that anonymize and then render results to their browsers also failed...this effected many different browsers out there that use other services to render their results...this happened in many areas of the U.S. ...most are working now but duckduckgo stated that some of the sites may still be limping as well as having caused problems for them as well...the only services i know of that were not effected by this outage were googles services since they are not reliant on bing, yahoo, etc....DAMIEN

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/1 ... go_outage/
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I hadn't noticed any problems until this thread because I actually rarely use DDG. Startpage HTTPS is my default because I simply get better results ... less scrolling through crud to get what I want. I have to wonder, though, how many people use Chrome for a browser and almost never Google Search? Yes, I know Startpage is Google powered. it's still different. And better.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi hoser...as for myself, i use slimjet browser with startpage...best of all worlds at least to me lol...i only knew about duckduckgo, bing, yahoo etc because of the article in the register...i always read the register as well as fossbytes in the morning before entering the linux mint forum...fore-knowledged is fore-armed lol...DAMIEN

Return to “Other topics”