Hooked to TV VIA HDMI and need help

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Palladini921
Level 2
Level 2

Hooked to TV VIA HDMI and need help

Post by Palladini921 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 pm

I downloaded Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon to my Daughterin Law's HP laptop. I then added few apps and updates and such, then took it downstairs and hooked it to her TV via HDMI cable.
This is what we get, an exact copy of the computer screen, press the Start (menu) key and it shows on the laptop, but not the TV. Open a window, I did see as we got it going an update was ready, had to get the internet going, but that part worked fine. Now back to the display, If you open a window on the laptop, to get it to show on the TV, you need to drag the window to the right of the screen and it appears there. I mean your draging the window right off the right side of the screen of the laptop, no part of shows on the laptop screen.
At one point tonight, because of the internet issue, I had the Update manager open in 2 windows, the Laptop and TV, but it was if they are in side by side windows. But how does the TV show same background image as the computer, fully?
If needed I can shoot a video, put in up on YT and put a link here for it.

wreckedpie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hooked to TV VIA HDMI and need help

Post by wreckedpie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Hey if you go to Menu->Preferences->Display on your laptop, you can change these settings there.
The default is to extend your desktop, but if you simply want to mirror it, just check the the "Mirror Displays" there and you're good.

Return to “Other topics”