Do Lenovo ThinkPads run well with Linux Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Do Lenovo ThinkPads run well with Linux Mint?

Post by KBD47 »

Moem wrote:Around 60 C. If it gets to 75 C that means there's a program that needs restarting.
That is a bit on the warm side. I'll probably stick to a lighter DE. But good to know it can run Cinnamon.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

KBD47 wrote:
Moem wrote:Around 60 C. If it gets to 75 C that means there's a program that needs restarting.
That is a bit on the warm side. I'll probably stick to a lighter DE. But good to know it can run Cinnamon.
It works for me. Right now, I have two browsers running, with all in all some 30 tabs open, a mail client, and Pidgin with six or so protocols connected. Temperature is 49 C. Not too bad, I'd say.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Moem wrote:It works for me. Right now, I have two browsers running, with all in all some 30 tabs open, a mail client, and Pidgin with six or so protocols connected. Temperature is 49 C. Not too bad, I'd say.
That is good. I have Mint Cinnamon on two desktops, it's a nice interface.
hrmcrm

Post by hrmcrm »

KBD47 wrote:I have heard you need to update the bios and remove a bunch of Lenovo programs and then reinstall them to upgrade to Windows 10. Did you run into issues upgrading the X201 to Windows 10?
My X201 has Bios: LENOVO v: 6QET70WW (1.40 ) date: 10/11/2012, which seems to be the latest. I installed the updated BIOS, available at https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/migr-74983, before upgrading to Win10.

I bought the X201 on e-bay, as one of a batch of about 30 probably being released by a business. The hard drive had been wiped and Windows 7 freshly installed, so none of the Lenovo software was on it. I have not installed any Lenovo programs, and Win10 runs fine without them.

I had no issues doing the upgrade from Win7 to Win10.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

hrmcrm wrote:My X201 has Bios: LENOVO v: 6QET70WW (1.40 ) date: 10/11/2012, which seems to be the latest. I installed the updated BIOS, available at https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/migr-74983, before upgrading to Win10.

I bought the X201 on e-bay, as one of a batch of about 30 probably being released by a business. The hard drive had been wiped and Windows 7 freshly installed, so none of the Lenovo software was on it. I have not installed any Lenovo programs, and Win10 runs fine without them.

I had no issues doing the upgrade from Win7 to Win10.
Thanks!
Curiosity got the best of me today and I went ahead and upgraded to Win10. I have no problems so far and did not need to do anything to the machine. Some of the hiccups I read about must have been issues early on and the bugs worked out because everything went smooth with the upgrade. Mine also had freshly install Win7 Pro so that may have helped me have no problem upgrading.
I'm going to be using Mint 18.2 Xfce on it as well. Mint is very light and fast on the machine.
I picked up a T420 earlier this summer. It was a Lenovo lease machine and it was in phenomenally good shape. Looks like it had been stuck in storage for some company and never used. I lucked out big time with it. The X201 was from a private seller but also in good shape. Now seems a great time to buy a used or refurbished Thinkpad as many are coming off of lease and they are great for Linux.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Most new notebook computers run with Linux. Some brands of wireless chip and one brand of graphics chip create problems. Linux sometimes receives updated drivers about six months after the new models arrive.

For Windows heating up, you can switch off some special display effects to reduce the graphics workload. LM 18.3 should use slightly less resources for the GUI compared to LM 18.2.

The CPU should slow down when hot. Disks do not, disks burst into flames almost as bad as Apple earbuds. :evil: If you have overheating problems, check the disk temp. Then look at the fan. Is the fan clean? Is the fan air intake blocked by something on your desk?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Petermint wrote:LM 18.3 should use slightly less resources for the GUI compared to LM 18.2.
There is no such thing as Linux Mint 18.3.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

catweazel wrote:
Petermint wrote:LM 18.3 should use slightly less resources for the GUI compared to LM 18.2.
There is no such thing as Linux Mint 18.3.
Well, Petermint did say should be. Aside from that, the beta has been released and Clem has been posting about the upcoming 18.3 features and changes on the LM blog since the monthly news post for August. So yes, Petermint was correct. 18.3 should use slightly less resources for the GUI compared to 18.2.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kmb42vt wrote:Petermint was correct.
That's now. Then was Sun Oct 15, over a month ago. 18.3 did not exist.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

catweazel wrote:That's now. Then was Sun Oct 15, over a month ago. 18.3 did not exist.
Right. What I meant was that the new features in 18.3 started being announced on the Linux Mint blog in September of this year. Perhaps that's where he got the idea from?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I use a lenovo ideapad 110. No problems 1.6 GHZ dual-core 4 GIGS of RAM
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I have an old ThinkPad R61 (Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 ram) that runs Mint/Cinnamon 18.3 just fine. Install and go installation, no fiddling needed. I did eventually replace the HDD with an SSD. Well worth it.

I have a newer (circa 2012) ThinkPad T430 (Intel Core i5 Dual core with hyper-threading, 8 GB DDR3 ram) coming so I'll repost here once it arrives and Mint is installed on it. I don't anticipate any problems.
supergreg

Post by supergreg »

I just upgraded to a Lenovo Thinkpad P50 at work, from a Macbook Pro, and I'm running Mint. For the most part, everything works great. The only problem is external monitor support is extremely buggy. If I plug monitors directly into the laptop, I get different results each time and have to keep unplugging/plugging in until both my externals work. I just got a dock, and it's worse as trying to use monitors plugged into the dock makes the screen blink on and off and the system becomes unusable.

That's my only gripe, and unfortunately it's a big one as I take my laptop to meetings about 6 times a day.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

You guys doing anything to improve your battery life on your Thinkpad with Linux?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I installed TLP.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Moem wrote:I installed TLP.
Has it made much of a difference for you?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yes, I do feel that it gives me more battery endurance, but I never tested, so I'm not sure. I used instructions found here. TLP itself is in the repos.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Moem wrote:Yes, I do feel that it gives me more battery endurance, but I never tested, so I'm not sure. I used instructions found here. TLP itself is in the repos.
Thanks!
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

Does anyone have a thinkpad t520 I7 core 424066U with Mint 18? I am wondering I see one on ebay really nice unit.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I have a Ideapad 1.6 GHZ dual core with 4 gigs of ram and it's good.

Return to “Other topics”