Do Lenovo ThinkPads run well with Linux Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertService

Re: Do Lenovo ThinkPads run well with Linux Mint?

Post by RobertService »

@ KBD47--

"...What kind of temps do you get running Cinnamon?..."

With 8 GB in both (Cinnamon) machines, inxi reports 37C on the T420 running LM 17.3, and 42C on the T430 running LM 18.2.
Have had nothing but exemplary performance from these two Thinkpads. Will buy another one (T420/T430)--or two.
[On buying: what a dilemma: the 430 has faster hardware, but the keyboard on the 420 is much nicer: a true (one of the last) 7-row keyboard; a lighted CapsLock key for no guessing; very high contrast keylabels for better low-light typing...it'll be a T420, if there are any left.]

Warmest regards...
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

RobertService wrote:@ KBD47--

"...What kind of temps do you get running Cinnamon?..."

With 8 GB in both (Cinnamon) machines, inxi reports 37C on the T420 running LM 17.3, and 42C on the T430 running LM 18.2.
Have had nothing but exemplary performance from these two Thinkpads. Will buy another one (T420/T430)--or two.
[On buying: what a dilemma: the 430 has faster hardware, but the keyboard on the 420 is much nicer: a true (one of the last) 7-row keyboard; a lighted CapsLock key for no guessing; very high contrast keylabels for better low-light typing...it'll be a T420, if there are any left.]

Warmest regards...
Yes, love the keyboard on the T420! I also love they keyboard on my X201 and do a lot of word processing on it. My X201 temp is anywhere from 47C to 60C but averages about 54C on Ubuntu Mate 16.04. It runs a bit warmer than my T420. Glad to hear Cinnamon runs so well on the T420.
This past summer I bought both of my Thinkpads on Ebay. There are still lots of them available. Big corporations must be shedding them recently. I believe people look at Thinkpads and believe they are much older than they look as they are 'old style' in design. Which means you can occasionally find unbelievable deals on them as people do not know their real value.
Edit: I should add that on my X201 temps are not bad running Chrome, but Firefox (newest version) does spike my temp to the point I mostly use Chrome browser.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

Thinkpads have a long history of supporting Linux. Currently I have a T470 running Linux Mint 18.3 and Centos 7.4, both certified to run on the T470 (Actually Ubuntu 16.04 and Centos 7.3 are certified, so pretty much the same thing). That doesn't mean that newer or other distros won't work, but I don't need the headache of having extra issues, so I run long term support distros. I have windows 10 installed on the main drive and the Linuxes installed dual boot on a second drive. Everything installed without problems and are running without a glitch.

FYI: Lenovo Linux Certification Page:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd031426

Return to “Other topics”