[SOLVED] Disposing of old PC

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GotLinuxAt72

[SOLVED] Disposing of old PC

Post by GotLinuxAt72 »

I have to dispose (give away) my old desktop PC which is a Linux Mint 18.2 machine.
To do that, and retain the OS, I need to remove traces of me, and my passwords, etcetera.
Any hints on how to do this? I am not a Linux fundi, so explicit instructions would be very
helpful.
My new machine will again be a Linux only PC.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Disposing of old PC

Post by catweazel »

I'm inclined to suggest just formatting the thing and reinstalling Mint clean. It only takes a short while to reinstall.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you could try installing with the OEM version of LinuxMint,
- which leaves the latter part of the installation, to be completed, by the New User.
the partial installation would also erase any existing Operating System on the current HDD.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GotLinuxAt72

Post by GotLinuxAt72 »

Wanted to retain some Arduino and Raspberry stuff for the new user,
but fresh install is probably better and then I will add the missing docs from backups.

Thanks.

Return to “Other topics”