[SOLVED] PDF File with execute permission

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kyowash

[SOLVED] PDF File with execute permission

Post by Kyowash »

I've noticed a PDF file I've downloaded has execute permissions. Is it normal? Should I remove it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: PDF File with execute permission

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Kyowash.

Have you perhaps saved the downloaded PDF file to a filesystem of type FAT32 or NTFS? In case you did, then the execute permission of a PDF file might be caused by this: the Windows filesystem permissions and the Linux Mint filesystem permissions are structured in pretty different ways. As a consequence there is no 1:1 translation between Linux permissions and Windows permissions. To workaround this incompatibility Linux mounts FAT32 and NTFS filesystems in such a way that all available filesystem permissions are granted to owner - group - others; and non-executable files may appear as being executables as well.

In case the file is located in your $HOME/Downloads directory, however, you may simply remove the executable permission from it. You can do so using the graphical file manager or the terminal command chmod a-x /path/to/name_of_file.pdf (Replace by the appropriate pathname and filename.)

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Kyowash

Re: PDF File with execute permission

Post by Kyowash »

Yes, I saved it in my flash drive. Its filesystem is FAT32, so I guess the first thing you explained happened.
Thanks for your help.

Return to “Other topics”