Windows NTFS C: drive on dual boot can only be mounted read-only

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Windows NTFS C: drive on dual boot can only be mounted read-only

Post by Nick Payne »

I have Mint 18.2 dual boot with Windows 10 x64 build 1703. Whenever I boot into Mint and click on the Windows C: drive visible as its volume name of DRIVE_C under Devices in Nemo, I get an error message saying that the drive can't be mounted because Windows is hibernated. See attached screenshot of the error dialog. Windows is *not* hibernated - I never hibernate it. I've tried this several times after a clean shotdown of Windows and then booting into Mint, and I always get this problem. I can manually mount the drive read-only, but not read-write. Is there something in NTFS on this version of Windows that prevents Linux from being able to mount the volume read-write? The drive is an SSD.
Screenshot from 2017-10-13 12-17-06.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Windows NTFS C: drive on dual boot can only be mounted read-only

Post by MrEen »

In Windows, go to:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings

Make sure "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" is NOT checked.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Windows NTFS C: drive on dual boot can only be mounted read-only

Post by Petermint »

After you have access to drive C:, you might benefit from splitting C: into C: for Windows and D: for your home directory. The next Windows failure is less likely to kill your user data.

Return to “Other topics”