config file locations: manpage vs. Mint? <SOLVED>

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
saluton
Level 1
Level 1

config file locations: manpage vs. Mint? <SOLVED>

Postby saluton » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:50 am

hello,
in some manuals, paths are given to certain configuration files, which I then don't find in my Mint-system,e.g.:
1.in `man man' (version 2.6.7.1), in the explanation of the option `-C', it is referred to the "default configuration file" ~/.manpath,which I don't find in my Mint-System.
2.in `man loadkeys' (kbd-version 1.15.5), it says, that the default keymap `defkeymap.map' is either in `/usr/share/keymaps' or in `/usr/src/linux/drivers/char'. I used `locate -b defkeymap.map' to find the file, but unsuccesfully. I looked up the two pathes without finding anything.

Does somebody know why this is so, and if some is "right" (in the sense of standards)?
greetings,
saluton
Last edited by saluton on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

rene
Level 6
Level 6

Re: config file locations: manpage vs. Mint?

Postby rene » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Generally inconsistencies can happen and are usually the result of the manpage author hardcoding a path rather than allowing it to be set at compile/install-time (more specifically, at ./configure-time). Both your specifics are however not examples:

1. ~/.manpath, $HOME/.manpath, is an optional per-user configuration file for man. If there is no such file for the invoking user only the global /etc/manpath.config is consulted. ~/.manpath is provided so that you-the-user can override a global setting; mint-the-distribution doesn't do this for you.

2. They are in fact in /usr/share/keymaps once you install them: sudo apt-get install console-keymaps ("console-keymaps" is a package alias for "console-data").

saluton
Level 1
Level 1

Re: config file locations: manpage vs. Mint?

Postby saluton » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 am

thank you.

Return to “Other topics”