Unable to connect to Upstart

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
scsurfnbro
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to connect to Upstart

Post by scsurfnbro » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:07 am

So I recently updated the Kernel and after doing so my VMs quit working on VirtualBox. So I google some fixes and came across one that helped fixed the issue. I had to update everything concerning VirtualBox. So I ran an update cmd and then I restarted the computer. Now I get an error saying "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds." It says there may be no diskspace but I know that is not it. The details for the error show this

"initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/Ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:me being added to access control list"

Can anyone please help me out. I cannot find anything to fix this except to reinstall. And I really don't want to do that. Thanks

mrvga
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to connect to Upstart

Post by mrvga » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I had the same problem,
what worked for me was to check the log of apt and check the packages that update for virtualbox and removed them.

Code: Select all

apt remove virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox*
also did virtualbox* for any other packages.
after that I did a reboot and everything was working again

newbee123
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to connect to Upstart

Post by newbee123 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 pm

thanks, your a big help.
I just dont get why the update manager had me install the virtuallbox crap in the first place.

Anyway, just wanted to add for newbies like me, that you boot to advanced options then recovery mode then scroll down to root enter password then put in the above command line.

Return to “Other topics”