Unable to connect to Upstart

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scsurfnbro

Unable to connect to Upstart

Post by scsurfnbro »

So I recently updated the Kernel and after doing so my VMs quit working on VirtualBox. So I google some fixes and came across one that helped fixed the issue. I had to update everything concerning VirtualBox. So I ran an update cmd and then I restarted the computer. Now I get an error saying "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds." It says there may be no diskspace but I know that is not it. The details for the error show this

"initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/Ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:me being added to access control list"

Can anyone please help me out. I cannot find anything to fix this except to reinstall. And I really don't want to do that. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newbee123

Re: Unable to connect to Upstart

Post by newbee123 »

thanks, your a big help.
I just dont get why the update manager had me install the virtuallbox crap in the first place.

Anyway, just wanted to add for newbies like me, that you boot to advanced options then recovery mode then scroll down to root enter password then put in the above command line.

Return to “Other topics”