Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kaimi64
Level 1
Level 1

Clipboard

Postby kaimi64 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:20 am

Probably a stupid question, but will the switch to alternate display servers effect how clipboard functions.

Also, does clipboard, without a clipboard manager, ever save to disk? I got a bit confused reading this, as it is a bit vague.

https://people.gnome.org/~shaunm/girdoc ... store.html

This was referenced in the link below as one method to get around the clipboard persistence problem.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Clipboard

Postby phd21 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:23 am

Hi "kaimi64",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

kaimi64 wrote:Probably a stupid question, but will the switch to alternate display servers effect how clipboard functions.

What does switch to alternate display servers mean?

kaimi64 wrote:Also, does clipboard, without a clipboard manager, ever save to disk? I got a bit confused reading this, as it is a bit vague.

This would depend upon the clipboard manager. Usually there are settings for this, like "save clipboard contents on exit?" which security conscience people should disable (uncheck), apply/ok.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:18 am

kaimi64 wrote:Also, does clipboard, without a clipboard manager, ever save to disk? I got a bit confused reading this, as it is a bit vague.

AFAIK, w/o extra software the clipboard content is lost when the program you copied it from is closed.

Heh -
"Fixing it is a Google Summer of Code 2010 project."
Mint 18.2 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Lint_L
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lint_L » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:46 am

Hello.
I want ask you similar question,I have installed Linux mint-mate 18.2 (sonya), copying works only through the right ctrl + c, the left ctrl is working, for some reason, by default the copy-paste is set to the right ctrl.
Please tell me where to fix it.
Thank you.

Return to “Software & Applications”