Guest session USB device not recognized (LM 18.2)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
odbabos
Level 1
Level 1

Guest session USB device not recognized (LM 18.2)

Postby odbabos » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 am

Hello,

I'm struggling with a Smart Card reader in a guest session under Linux Mint 18.2.

Operating public computers, I've set up a customized guest session (thanks to Sonya, lightdm is now the default greeter which made new setup easier), the guest user is loaded from a template one (inspired by https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/2 and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeGuestSession).
I need my customers to be able to use their ID cards trough a Smart Card Reader but it seems that the guest user can't access the device although it's listed by lsusb in a guest session terminal :

Code: Select all

guest-azeyoi@virt0001 ~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 072f:9000 Advanced Card Systems, Ltd ACR38 AC1038-based Smart Card Reader
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Note that regular users can fully use the device (even the template user upon which is based the guest-session). Note also that i have the same issue both on a virtual machine and a physical one.

Is USB access restricted for the guest user ? I have no troubles with USB storage.

Thanks for the reading,

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Guest session USB device not recognized (LM 18.2)

Postby JerryF » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Shot in the dark. You may need to add the guest user to the smart card reader group if there has been one created.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Mint uses software called 'Apparmor' to limit the functionality of guest accounts. A quick Google (see below) shows it's possible to put Apparmor into a mode where it will log violations rather than blocking them. Perhaps you could initiate this mode, use the smartcard reader and then see what was logged as a starter for ten.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2014/03/apparmor-ubuntu/

Please let us know how you get on as this could be useful for others.

odbabos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby odbabos » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:02 am

Thanks for the leads, i'm not sure to be able to explore them before next week but i'll post the results as soon as i have any progress.

Return to “Other topics”