PDF Tracking?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CondorCluster

PDF Tracking?

Post by CondorCluster »

Hi,

For licensed documents issued under the PDF format, can the documents 'phone home' to track who accessing them? For example if a document is issued for a set number of people only, can this actually be monitored?

As far as I can see, the only 'security' an author can add to a PDF file is password protection, and restrict certain functions like print and modify etc.

Thanks.
CC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: PDF Tracking?

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have never tried this or anything like it, but if I were interested in doing something like this I would look at DRM [spit] and Javascript. I suspect it would have many levels of failure. That said....

You might be able to accomplish this with Javascript and something like Google Analytics. Possible failures would be that not every PDF reader supports Javascript, and many PDF readers notify users when it is trying to access an outside resource.

There might be a DRM scheme that will give you what you seek. I imagine it would be difficult for you and the users to manage, which I find fitting. DRM is a pox on society.

As for password protection, you can also require a password to open a PDF.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

CondorCluster wrote:As far as I can see, the only 'security' an author can add to a PDF file is password protection, and restrict certain functions like print and modify etc.
You can set the password using Libreoffice Writer (File -> Export as PDF -> Security tab -> Set Passwords ).
set password.png
CondorCluster

Post by CondorCluster »

The question was aimed more as the end user of a PDF document, rather than an author.

Basically can PDFs 'phone home' and let the originator know when and where the document is accessed?
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

CondorCluster wrote:Basically can PDFs 'phone home' and let the originator know when and where the document is accessed?
Is this a thought experiment or something you actually want to do?

I think might be possible with Javascript, I think it will be a lot more trouble than it is worth, and I am almost certain your rate of failure will be high.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022

Return to “Other topics”