Desktop environment seems broken

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
maxed
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop environment seems broken

Postby maxed » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem, have unable to figure out a solution. I am using Mint 18. When I tried to restart the PC, the desktop environment (GUI) seems broken.

The background turned to the default black, and I cannot change it to anything.

In the default desktop, I see some icons such as 'Computer', 'Home', 'Files'. When I double-click click that it does not do anything. The files are all there, luckily!

Can you please please suggest a way to resolve this, and get this working. This seems like a bug..

maxed
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to set wallpaper

Postby maxed » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Also, the command above did not work.

ls -al /your/wallpaper/folder
ls: cannot access '/your/wallpaper/folder': No such file or directory

mrjimphelps
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mrjimphelps » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm

When I had this problem, when the desktop was black, I was unable to use any graphic file as my wallpaper; they were all grayed out in all folders.

Termy
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Termy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:03 am

@Maxed:

It sounds like your desktop manager or file manager is messed up; it typically deals with desktop stuff. For example, in XFCE, xfdesktop deals with the desktop functionality, but you can use pcmanfm (a lightweight file manager) to manage the desktop as well.

By the way, ls -al /your/wallpaper/folder was just an example. Replace "/your/wallpaper/folder" with your wallpaper folder. For example, mine would be: ls -Al ~/Pictures/Wallpapers

Which desktop environment are you using? Such as XFCE and Cinnamon. Also, are you using the standard system software, like the file manager, which came with Mint?
Here to help.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Desktop environment seems broken

Postby Moem » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:04 am

Mod note:
Split this off into a new topic as it's a very different problem, and it's always best to start a new topic for a new question.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Other topics”