[SOLVED] Can this chromium folder be safely deleted?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

[SOLVED] Can this chromium folder be safely deleted?

Post by Schultz »

I just discovered that there is a folder named "chromium-browser" in /etc. I don't use Chromium, so is it safe to delete this folder? There is also one in the home folder, and I know that one can be safely deleted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Can this chromium folder be safely deleted?

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Schultz.

You can easily find out the answer to your own question this way:

Code: Select all

sudo mv  /etc/chromimum-browser /etc/chromium-browser.bak
In case you have not experienced any problems after, let us say, 2 weeks, chances are that it is safe to remove the (renamed) folder including content, because you do not use chromium.
Unanswered is the question: what the heck is to be gained by removing this small folder?

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Not much is to be gained. I just have a phobia with anything named Chrome/Chromium. :)

About the command you gave, it looks like you want me to rename the folder, but doesn't mv stand for move?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Schultz.
The Linux command mv is used for both, moving to a new location and renaming. Renaming is merely a special case of moving. ;-)
Karl

Code: Select all

$ mv --help
Usage: mv [OPTION]... [-T] SOURCE DEST
  or:  mv [OPTION]... SOURCE... DIRECTORY
  or:  mv [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY SOURCE...
Rename SOURCE to DEST, or move SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY.
[...lots of more text cut ...]
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

It's been 6 days I've renamed that folder, and noticed no ill effects. I'll delete the folder and mark this thread as solved.
lmuserx4849

Re: [SOLVED] Can this chromium folder be safely deleted?

Post by lmuserx4849 »

It might be a losing battle, because if the package that installed that file is updated, it may install the file again. You might be better off removing the entire package than just 1 file, but that is easier said than done sometimes.

In the future, when you see a file that you want to know more about, ask the question, "what package installed that file", and from the command line do a dpkg -S pattern, where the pattern is part of the file name --- dpkg -S /etc/chromium-browser.

I did the above command and found that this directory was installed by adobe-flashplugin. Clicking on Installed Files in Synaptic Package Manager confirmed this, as well as,
doing the command, dpkg -L adobe-flashplugin | less.

Return to “Other topics”