ProtonMail Bridge

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IanPJ

ProtonMail Bridge

Post by IanPJ »

Is there any possibility that you could incorporate the following into your product at some stage in the future?

https://protonmail.com/blog/thunderbird ... ted-email/

Being able to send and receive from an encrypted account direct from the linux mint client would be a tremendous security enhancement.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: ProtonMail Bridge

Post by Moem »

That might prove difficult for now, since ProtonMail doesn't seem to offer a Linux version of their application... have you asked them about that?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It says the Linux version is "coming soon." Or something like that. I signed up for a ProtonMail account, but since then read something about it that didn't make me feel very comfortable. I am planning to install Enigmail in Thunderbird. I have also been using Signal on my phone for encrypted communications. I think it is a good idea for everybody to use encrypted communications as much as possible, as that will help protect those who actually do need encrypted communications, by keeping those who would spy on us busy trying to decrypt everything that everybody sends.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

jimallyn wrote:It says the Linux version is "coming soon." Or something like that. I signed up for a ProtonMail account, but since then read something about it that didn't make me feel very comfortable. I am planning to install Enigmail in Thunderbird. I have also been using Signal on my phone for encrypted communications. I think it is a good idea for everybody to use encrypted communications as much as possible, as that will help protect those who actually do need encrypted communications, by keeping those who would spy on us busy trying to decrypt everything that everybody sends.
Hi jimallyn. May I ask what it was that made you uncomfortable, as I'm using Protonmail as my sole email. Thanks. :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

ArtGirl wrote:May I ask what it was that made you uncomfortable, as I'm using Protonmail as my sole email.)
You know, I don't remember exactly what it was. Nor where I read it. But I had only recently signed up for ProtonMail, and hadn't really used it, so I just decided not to use it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

jimallyn wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:May I ask what it was that made you uncomfortable, as I'm using Protonmail as my sole email.)
You know, I don't remember exactly what it was. Nor where I read it. But I had only recently signed up for ProtonMail, and hadn't really used it, so I just decided not to use it.
Okay. I've not noticed anything untoward so far myself.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

OK, I did a little googling. I found two things: one, apparently the encryption routines are written in JavaScript, which is far from a secure programming language. Two:

"ProtonMail does allow you to export your public key and send it to another person, but you can’t easily confirm whether your ProtonMail messages are being sent to the same key. It would take serious tech chops to verify the key. “They could look at the network request or open the browser’s JavaScript inspector, but both of those are so far beyond normal UI that I wouldn’t say that’s a reliable defense against man-in-the-middle attacks,” Bonneau says."
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

IanPJ wrote:Being able to send and receive from an encrypted account direct from the linux mint client would be a tremendous security enhancement
Install Enigmail in Thunderbird.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

jimallyn wrote:
IanPJ wrote:Being able to send and receive from an encrypted account direct from the linux mint client would be a tremendous security enhancement
Install Enigmail in Thunderbird.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at it, but I don't use Firefox or Thunderbird, especially with not being able to tweak it so it's fully private enough. I unknowingly was using Opera for years, and now realise there'll be an issue or two with that, but am not keen on Mozilla's track record about privacy. If Opera have already got data, I'd rather not put further data into a 2nd browser. Protonmail don't have any incidences noted, and I've used it since August without issues. A juggle between who to manage reasonably with plus technical ability to set things up, but personally Opera and Protonmail I find are the least bad; thank goodness they're there, and it'll be interesting to see where Brave goes with things too.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

jimallyn wrote:OK, I did a little googling. I found two things: one, apparently the encryption routines are written in JavaScript, which is far from a secure programming language. Two:

"ProtonMail does allow you to export your public key and send it to another person, but you can’t easily confirm whether your ProtonMail messages are being sent to the same key. It would take serious tech chops to verify the key. “They could look at the network request or open the browser’s JavaScript inspector, but both of those are so far beyond normal UI that I wouldn’t say that’s a reliable defense against man-in-the-middle attacks,” Bonneau says."
Oops, had missed this post. Beyond me technically, I'm afraid, but one thing I've noticed is that I get no spam at all for the first time in my life. They're still in development, so could be working on this.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ArtGirl wrote: I'll take a look at it, but I don't use Firefox or Thunderbird, especially with not being able to tweak it so it's fully private enough. I unknowingly was using Opera for years, and now realise there'll be an issue or two with that, but am not keen on Mozilla's track record about privacy. If Opera have already got data, I'd rather not put further data into a 2nd browser.
There is absolutely no reason to combine Firefox and Thunderbird, they are separate things. Just in case that helps!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Moem wrote:
ArtGirl wrote: I'll take a look at it, but I don't use Firefox or Thunderbird, especially with not being able to tweak it so it's fully private enough. I unknowingly was using Opera for years, and now realise there'll be an issue or two with that, but am not keen on Mozilla's track record about privacy. If Opera have already got data, I'd rather not put further data into a 2nd browser.
There is absolutely no reason to combine Firefox and Thunderbird, they are separate things. Just in case that helps!
Thanks, Moem. Sorry I didn't post clearly, as I realise they're separate ... it's that they're both Mozilla concerns me personally, but I appreciate post.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Fair enough! We all get to decide what we're comfortable with.

ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Moem wrote:Fair enough! We all get to decide what we're comfortable with.
No problem, and, yes, I can only report no problems on the system while running Protonmail and Opera, plus I'm not able to set things up technically, so maybe there's something more technical that works well for others. :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

ArtGirl wrote:No problem, and, yes, I can only report no problems on the system while running Protonmail
But you wouldn't know if you are having problems with Protonmail, at least if you are expecting it to be private. There are reasons why it may not be, and you wouldn't know about it until something happens that makes it obvious that somebody has been reading your email.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

jimallyn wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:No problem, and, yes, I can only report no problems on the system while running Protonmail
But you wouldn't know if you are having problems with Protonmail, at least if you are expecting it to be private. There are reasons why it may not be, and you wouldn't know about it until something happens that makes it obvious that somebody has been reading your email.
I see no point in worrying me, when I just said I haven't the technical knowledge to look further into it. I've used it since August, and can tell it's okay as nothing bad has happened on my system or with any online sites etc. I also chose it because it had many good reviews and does not have a bad track record. Customer support is good too; quick and clear response, and understanding too, since it turned out I'd missed something.
Faust

Post by Faust »

jimallyn wrote:But you wouldn't know if you are having problems with Protonmail, at least if you are expecting it to be private. There are reasons why it may not be, and you wouldn't know about it until something happens that makes it obvious that somebody has been reading your email.
Very good point !

A classic error in formal logic :-
" If it is raining then the grass is wet " => TRUE
but the converse :-
" If the grass is wet then it is raining " ..... ???

... all said in jest of course :D

Return to “Other topics”