SOLVED: Was systemd added to 18.3?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pccobbler
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: Was systemd added to 18.3?

Post by pccobbler »

In 18.2, I was able to avoid systemd in Update Manager, but in 18.3 there is no choice. Does this mean that systemd was added to 18.3? Sorry if I missed it in the release notes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Was systemd added to 18.3?

Post by Fred Barclay »

pccobbler wrote:In 18.2, I was able to avoid systemd in Update Manager, but in 18.3 there is no choice. Does this mean that systemd was added to 18.3? Sorry if I missed it in the release notes.
Hi pccobbler,
systemd has been preinstalled and the default init system of Mint since version 18. Probaby (if I understand your post correctly), you haven't been avoiding systemd through the Update Manager, but only updates to systemd. ;)

If you really want to avoid systemd but stay with Mint, the Mint 17.x series and LMDE 2 do not use systemd as the init system. (LMDE 2 includes some components of systemd, but doesn't use it as the init by default.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

pccobbler wrote:Does this mean that systemd was added to 18.3?
It's my recollection that its been part of Linux Mint since 18.0.

Joe
pccobbler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pccobbler »

Thanks to Fred Barclay and JoeFootball for their replies.

Yes, I think I was confusing installation with updates. I will look at 17.3, as it still has more than one year of support left.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think a lot of noobs here have been misreading a lot of alarmist stuff about systemd.

Systemd ain't perfect, but it's the only Linux init system that's still being maintained.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

No worries about systemd....

While I can understand the technical disadvantages of such a centralized "second kernel", I cannot understand why it should bother anyone *as long as it's being maintained properly*. Which it is. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
idle

Post by idle »

Make no mistake systemd is evil. One time at band camp, systemd took out our whole tuba section.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Why would you have to ask? You didn't mention any problems you are having, so apparently if your computer has systemd, it is working well for you. But I can see why you might be concerned if you have a tuba section. :wink:
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JulioSheppards

Post by JulioSheppards »

Thanks to Fred Barclay and JoeFootball for their replies. Yes, I think I was confusing installation with updates. I will look at 17.3, as it still has more than one year of support left.

Read about weight watchcers calculator here: how many weight watchers smart points do i get
Last edited by JulioSheppards on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Systemd is not the evil one lots of people have been screaming about in fact it works quite well and if you understand the commands available you can tailor it to your needs. For most folks they won't even know they are using it.
Mint and I would guess LMDE 3 when it comes out in 2018 will most likely use it as Debian was one of the first to use it as default. Mint 17.x as good as it is will become very old over it's life time. You could go to a Distro that is Systemd free but there aren't may left. some are PCLinuxOS, Duvuan and maybe a few others.
Mint team by the way does a great job of implementing systemd and It just works for most of us.

More to worry about might be a Change to Wayland display server, which hopefully will mature to a usable system by the time Mint has to change to it.
Just My 2 cents worth :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

idle wrote:Make no mistake systemd is evil. One time at band camp, systemd took out our whole tuba section.
lololol
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

systemd took out our whole tuba section
My desktop computer has cooling tubas in the CPU fan assembly. Luckily my main computer does not contain a tuba.
RobertService

Post by RobertService »

@ pccobbler--

MX Linux (MX-17; now no.10 on DistroWatch) uses SysVinit as the default init.

Warmest regards...

Return to “Other topics”