Any way to recover files from previous OS

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bitgael
Level 1
Level 1

Any way to recover files from previous OS

Post by bitgael »

I screwed up badly. I backed up everything to my cloud account before I installed mint, but I forgot to write down my cloud password somewhere. I had it written down in a file on my old filesystem (ubuntu), is there any way to recover files from it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Any way to recover files from previous OS

Post by catweazel »

Only if your files are on another disk. If the files were on the same partition that you've installed Mint to then it's highly unlikely anything recoverable remains.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "bitgael",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Which "cloud" provider are you using? Some cloud providers might have a password recovery option, others do not. For instance, my "mega.nz" cloud provider does not have a password recovery option, but they do have an option to export and or save your password key to a file which of course you should backup or copy to a safe place.

It is always a good idea to use a Password Manager like KeePassXC, or KeePassX, or KeePass2, to store important passwords and information, and to put a copy of that password database file onto a USB flash drive stick.

And even if you use a cloud provider, it is still a good idea to backup to an external USB hard drive or large enough USB flash drive stick.

Good luck ...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
bitgael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bitgael »

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 and all but I should have had a more convenient backup media and/or a password manager The cloud provider I'm using don't have the ability to reset keys as a security precaution.

I tried a list over ~100 likely passwords, but none of them worked. I guess I'll just have to start again on the projects I lost.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hi bitgael and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,

Sorry about your loss of files. I know how fustrating that can be as I've experienced that in the past. But at least we can learn from our mistakes and Back up everything important in the future including passwords :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Other topics”