Update mirrors very slow/unreachable

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Update mirrors very slow/unreachable

Post by Schultz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 am

Looking over the forum it seems no one else is having this problem. I can't update my system because all of Ubuntu's mirrors are unreachable, and Mint's mirrors are crawling-slow. I'm not sure if I'm having an ISP problem; I can browse the interent, but I do notice it is slower than usual. Anyone else having slow update speeds?
mint.mirrors.jpg
ubuntu.mirrors.jpg

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Update mirrors very slow/unreachable

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:24 am

Schultz wrote:I'm not sure if I'm having an ISP problem; I can browse the interent, but I do notice it is slower than usual.
In that case, all signs point to 'yes'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 am

You are quite right, I'm on the horn right now with my ISP. Their customer service wasn't open yet (it's early here) when I created this thread.

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Well the problem was that the guys who installed my antenna + wiring did a lousy job. The wire from the antenna into the house had 5 places where it was pinched, and in a couple of those spots it cut through the outside protective layering. It was caused by how they put the wire in between my roof's ceramic tiles.

all41
Level 12
Level 12

Post by all41 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Antenna? What internet connect do you have? satellite?
What connect speeds do you pay for vs what you are normally getting?
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Schultz wrote:Well the problem was that the guys who installed my antenna + wiring did a lousy job.
I just hate shoddy workmanship. How do these guys sleep at night? And how do they keep their jobs? My dad used to say to do every job in a "workman-like manner." When I was a kid I wasn't sure what that meant, but I knew that if I did a poor job on something, I was going to hear about it. My dad was a perfectionist, and that rubbed off on all his kids. Years later I asked my brother if he had also got that perfectionist streak, and he said, "I figure we'll start with perfection and tweak it from there." He's an electrician and has had a lot of apprentices working under him. If he sees something that isn't as good as it could be, he'll pull out a Sharpie marker, hand it to them, and say, "sign your work." If it's not good enough to put your name on it, it's not good enough. When I had a TV repair shop, I was fortunate to have good people working for me, people who knew what I expected, and took satisfaction from doing things right. When you do good work, word gets around, and in short order everybody knew that we were by far the best in town. Sometimes we'd have to tell people, "we're a bit backed up right now, it might be a while" and they'd say, "that's OK, I'd rather have it right than right now." Quality doesn't cost, it pays.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:33 am

all41 wrote:
Antenna? What internet connect do you have? satellite?
I don't know if it's considered satellite or not. My antenna is not getting it's signal from a satellite in outer space; it's getting the signal from a transmitter on the top of a mountain here in the area. Now where the transmitter is getting its signal, I don't have a clue.
all41 wrote:
What connect speeds do you pay for vs what you are normally getting?
Now that it's fixed, I'm getting the speed I'm paying for.
jimallyn wrote:
I just hate shoddy workmanship. . . . Quality doesn't cost, it pays.
I agree with everything you said. My father also was very exacting in his work.

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:11 am

hi schultz, happy christmas...im wondering if your close to my area as ive heard of this problem before in the mountain area of La Luz, NM using a satellite connection service here in the high desert area that is not well served by cable or dsl services...the satellite services here typically can expect speeds up to @ 15 mps download speed...the local area telephone company uses strategically placed transmitters and deliver at best 10 mps but average only 6 or 7 mps...and a major carrier phone company only delivers up to 3 mps but only really delivers 1.5 mps...is this pretty much what you are getting (fast.com works well to find out here in the U.S.)...if so 15 mps at the least will be ok for most internet purposes...my service here in alamogordo nm i pay $56 per month (it also incl. my phone) for 60 mps on internet cable and they deliver 63 to 64 mps so im well served here but many others are not...just wondering...DAMIEN

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:27 pm

I'm not quite sure what speeds are promised. They have a 4 tier option, and I'm on the least expensive ($35 a month). Depending on where I'm downloading, and what time of day it is, I get anywhere from ½ meg up to almost 2 megs a second; most of the time it's around 1½.

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:58 am

owwwwww....im sorry to hear that schultz...that is about as low as it gets for speed on the internet and the world wide web...if i can be of any help to research your options just ask me...the ISP providers can be flexible on pricing if asked properly...just let me know if interested...PM is ok if you wish...DAMIEN

Return to “Other topics”