devel repo in sources

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

devel repo in sources

Post by keithrboz »

I have been reading that it is possible to use devel as the repo for Ubuntu, with some risks but generally works well. How can I do this with LinuxMint? I have ubuntu 18.04 running installed on my laptop.

Also run friefox daily as default browser. I am trying to say, I am happy to try bleeding edge, but can't code. I am also starting to answer queries on the forum.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: devel repo in sources

Post by xenopeek »

That won't work well. If you want to use bleeding edge development release of Ubuntu, just use Ubuntu :wink: Linux Mint uses Ubuntu LTS as a package base and adds its own repositories on top of that. Linux Mint's software in those additional repositories is developed, tested, built and packaged specifically for compatibility with the library versions of Ubuntu LTS.

Linux Mint 19 due mid next year will be based on Ubuntu 18.04.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithrboz »

Thanks.

Of course, LTS is just happens to be the next release. I was seeing it as just another release.

So, how do I get involved in testing at Mint? rather than bunt, please.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Follow the blog https://blog.linuxmint.com/. The beta release will be announced there. I'd expect a beta release for Linux Mint 19 somewhere around May-June. Any findings from testing the beta release you comment on the blog post itself, so the developers have one place to scour for all the feedback on the beta. Usually the beta is an intense 2-3 weeks of users testing for issues and developers fixing issues found, before the final release is done.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

They "generally works well" for who? Developers? This isn't a good idea if you have to ask the question. Unless you're very skilled, expect problems.

The other thing about dev level releases is that they don't even necessarily relflect what you'll see in the stablle versions.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Other topics”