access timemachine backup via Mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TravelingMan

access timemachine backup via Mint

Post by TravelingMan »

I used to have a macbook, which I did a time machine back up onto an external HDD.

I sold the macbook, and only have an Ipad mini and an Iphone. neither any use in recovering the data on my backup.

I now use Linux, and following a post http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 3213342356 that explains how to do this, I am getting stuck at one point.

The .HFS+ Private Directory Data contains the pictures etc that I want to get to. and the path to that is

Code: Select all

media/douglas/My Backup/.HFS+ Private Directory Data

Furthermore the Dir No I want is dir_1727386. however whenever I try to change to that directory using the command

/media/douglas/My Backup $ cd '/.HFS+ Private Directory Data/dir_1727386'
the result is

bash: cd: /.HFS+-Private-Directory-Data/dir_1727386: No such file or directory
if I go back to the Private data directory I again get that it does not exist. Yet using the file manager I can see the directory. Even if I drag and drop the directory into the terminal and try to change into it, I get the same result.

Can anyone help please.

PS I used a bash script to extract all the files, but it stopped when it encountered a dir with read only permissisons.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: access timemachine backup via Mint

Post by keithrboz »

TimeMachine seems to use a series of links or sim-links.

Have you run:

sudo chown -R username:username /path/to/disk

on the whole disk.

I recall that I could read timemachine files but not delete them when I did this exercise.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
TravelingMan

Post by TravelingMan »

I beleive I did that a while ago, when I first tried this, and like you I gained only read access on some not all directories. Of course the ones I wanted in my 'home' directory were all read only, so I could not recover the pictures etc that I want.
It is certainly frustrating as all the commands appear correct and yet it still tells me the private directory does not exist.

Anyway thanks for the reply. I shall try that one again.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Any other Macs around you?
johnny9308

Post by johnny9308 »

In the text you pasted, you included a leading '/' character:

cd '/.HFS+ Private Directory Data/dir_1727386'

Try removing the '/' because as it is written, you are trying to enter that directory at the _root_ of the filesystem hierarchy, not as a relative directory.

For example, if I was trying to get to /home/username/pictures, I could do it in 3 steps:

cd /home
cd username
cd pictures

Or in one step:

cd /home/username/pictures

Or two steps:

cd /home/username
cd pictures

Note where the leading slash is needed and where it isn't needed.

Return to “Other topics”