Browser or Browsers [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Browser or Browsers [SOLVED]

Post by chazb »

Firefox quantum, the new browser is not all that it is supposed to be. It is not faster, complains when I go to Yahoo, as well a my bank, and does not render some web pages properly. So I am looking for an alternative. i have Opera but it doesn't work well with say Facebook when it comes to videos. Chrome is Google and Google tracks you, I don't like being followed around the web. Tried a the Midori linux browser but it left much to be desired. Chromium is Chrome and still Google.

Is anybody on this forum using a browser that works like like Firefox used to work???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Browser or Browsers

Post by Moem »

Pale Moon and Waterfox are very much like Firefox used to be.

Chromium is not Chrome and not 'still Google'. But if you want something similar and even more Googlefree: there's Iridium.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

chazb wrote:Firefox quantum, the new browser is not all that it is supposed to be.
I'm pretty happy with it....
Is anybody on this forum using a browser that works like like Firefox used to work???
...but I'm also alternating with "vivaldi" :
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=260286
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

And although not browsers - you can use DuckDuckGo or Startpage as your search engines as they dont't track you.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I have three browsers I use, in order of prominence:

1) Pale Moon
2) Basilisk
3) Firefox ESR 52

Waterfox would also be a good choice (anything is better than Chrome or any other browser based on Chromium, IMO).
Last edited by Schultz on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Midori is good as an alternative Web browser. I use Midori for some sites when working on battery and avoid bigger browsers for hours at a time. For the big browser, I use an old release of Firefox as mentioned by Schultz.

I will move up to the new Firefox when people have worked out how to switch off the new features. :-)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

+1 for Waterfox. Recently crossed to it from Opera, and was surprised how well videos run. From back in the day when I used FF, it's all the positives of Firefox but with none of the snooping and issues, etc. it's just been patched to 56.0.2, covering meltdown/spectre. There are various tweaks on the reddit page, and that I've posted here on the forum, to get nearly all the speed back. There's a nice Quick Dial add-on, too, and anything added to that is saved along with bookmarks. No need to sync/have a profile. Bookmarks can be saved as html, and profile folder (.waterfox ... view hidden to see it, and back it up) can be manually backed up too. Really nice browser. Javascript Control is another good add-on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/new/
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Petermint wrote:
For the big browser, I use an old release of Firefox as mentioned by Schultz.
I don't use nor recommend an "old" browser. I'm using the current ESR version 52.5.3.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

Went to Major Geek and solved most of my Firefox problem; http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/ ... ction.html.

Return to “Other topics”