Two Finger middle click

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sbianchin

Two Finger middle click

Post by sbianchin »

Hi there,

I looked everywhere, but I can't find the solution to my problem.
I'm running Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on my laptop and I would like the middle click (paste) to be executed with 2 fingers instead of 3.

Currently (and I think this is the default status), the middle click is done with 3 fingers, where a 2-finger tap is the same as a right click.

I tried

Code: Select all

xinput --set-button-map 14 1 3 2 4 5 6 7 

It sets the middle click to 2 finger, BUT now if I use the right click it also acts like a "paste" (middle click) command.

Does any of you know what I should do ?

Thank you very much and happy new year !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Two Finger middle click

Post by jimallyn »

I don't have Cinnamon running right in front of me, but as far as I know, all versions of Mint have that feature, and the first Linux distribution I used back in 2002 did that, I'm pretty sure. XFCE does not have that feature, but it can be added.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
sbianchin

Post by sbianchin »

No it does not
It has the 3 finger middle click, but I would like to do this with only 2 fingers
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I just booted into Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on the computer in the other room from my USB stick. Two button paste works just as it always has. No need to use xinput or anything else, it just works. Did you try two button paste right after you installed? Could you have done something that caused it not to work? Try to set up for a 5 button mouse or gaming mouse, or anything like that? If you still have the install media (DVD or USB stick) try booting into that and see if two button paste works in the live session.

Also, enter inxi -Fxz into a terminal and copy/paste the output of that command in your next post here. And what is the brand and model of the mouse you are using?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

You can set the desired actions for the touchpad in Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon:
Touchpad_Settings.jpg
However, it seems to have been obfuscated in Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. These are screenshots of a session running in a virtual machine:
C183_Touchpad_Settings_00.jpeg
No extra options appear when you select the Use Multiple Fingers ... option:
C183_Touchpad_Settings_01.jpeg
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
sbianchin

Post by sbianchin »

Fresh after install, I have 3 finger paste.
2 finger has the same effect has a right click...

Still looking for a solution :/
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Try an external mouse? Bad buttons in the laptop?
Ni8E

Post by Ni8E »

I also would like to use 2 fingers for middle click.

I don't see how it's supposed to be logical to use:
- 2 fingers for scrolling (emulating middle click)
- same 2 fingers for right clicking

That's inconsistent, but maybe that's just me.
I hope they'll bring back the option to choose which way the user wants it to work.
sohitrharma
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sohitrharma »

I too had been looking to remap middle click to two finger tap. Found the solution here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Libinp ... re-mapping. Tested right now, and it works all right.

Arch wiki is insane. Its amazing how they always have a solution for most trivial quirks. Thought would share, if it helps anyone else.

Last bumped by sohitrharma on Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:55 am.

Return to “Other topics”