Strange Google Search codes in URL bar

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kiers
Level 1
Level 1

Strange Google Search codes in URL bar

Post by kiers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Hello,

been using mint for some time. Running Mint 18.1 Serena on my Intel 64 bit system, with chromium browser Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 18.1 (64-bit).

When i search stuff (by going directly to the URL bar in Chromium, which automatically shuffles it to google.com), i note strange entry's in the search terms UNRELATED to what i am searching!

For example, I was searching on exokernel OS (in light of new "meltdown" vulnerabilities disclosed in Intel CPUs) and i see this:

"https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... ding+cards[/b]&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1769.1769.0.3403.3.2.0.0.0.0.98.156.2.2.0....0...1.2.64.psy-ab..1.0.0.0.833ctd6yD-0"

Above, IN BOLD, WHAT IS THIS "good riddance to airport landing cards" entry in the search bar? where coming from? what does "oq=" signify.....?

MY ORIGINAL CORRECT SEARCH SHOWS LIKE "microkernel solve problems like Meltdown".....which is what i'm searching.....why are extraneous search terms being injected into search and then....not even being searched!????

Anybody have experience with this?

kiers
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Strange Google Search codes in URL bar

Post by kiers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 pm

I note that actually searching for that airport landing card phrase in google leads to a Financial Times article which i may or may not have visited months ago i don't remember.....what's going on. I have cleared cache some time ago since then surely. could it be a bug with "Great Suspender" add on in Chromium which i'm using? has anybody seen something liek this?

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Post by smurphos » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:46 am

q==query is the search term actually searched for
&oq==original query should be what you actually typed in the search bar. It could be different if you have Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar turned on and started typing a search and then picked a result.

Things to try...

Anything odd going on on this Chromium Settings page - chrome://settings/searchEngines
Disable extensions and see if it goes away.
Untick that setting and clean up your browser history/cache and see if it goes away.

kiers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

OK. cleaning browser cache and history and stored cookies and stored images/files did NOTHING to clear this particular issue.

However, doing a "reset" on chromium (which disabled my extensions) then cleared up the problem. Subsequently i re-enabled each one and they work and search looks normal.

Now my searches only append the following string "_____&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5788j0j7&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8" which is more understandable, though i don't know what the &aqs is for; followed by some serial number whatnot.

Return to “Other topics”