Is this worth adding RAM to? [SOLVED] (It was worth it!)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is this worth adding RAM to?

Post by jimallyn »

Spearmint2 wrote:Facebook is a HOG of bandwidth
Oh yeah, I'm totally aware of that. Multiple scripts on every page. Real resource hog.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
RobertService

Post by RobertService »

@ jimallyn--

I don't understand something--
What is the reference to "...32-bit..." in the inxi report all about? Your machine has a 64-bit processor. Are you running a 32-bit version of Mint?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Yes he is, due to only 2GB of RAM. 64 bit uses more RAM than 32 bit systems.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@jimallyn
Will you go to 64 bit in a future upgrade?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
RobertService

Post by RobertService »

If you indeed are running a 32-bit OS on this 64-bit system, we may have just discovered a cause--not the cause, but certainly a cause--of your 'slow-downs' (I will refrain from comments about the use of 'Facebook'). A 64-bit system makes much more efficient use of the available memory than does a 32-bit OS; there are certainly no restrictions or limitations--within rational considerations--on the minimum amount of memory one must have in order to run a 64-bit OS.
I propose a simple test: load the 64-bit version of the exact same OS you're using right now. I'd be very surprised if you didn't see an improvement in responsiveness...not an earth-shattering, 'stop-the-presses' improvement; nothing to challenge the invention of moveable type; but an improvement nonetheless.
Do you remember the earlier post wherein I described my use of an Acer Aspire 5251 with a 'pokey' (AMD) V120 processor (a 64-bit single-core CPU, by the way)? That machine came with 2GB of RAM, and ran Mint 13 Maya, 64-bit, beautifully (and still does, by the way; Maya is one of Clement Lefebvre's Crown Jewels) when my first customization of the machine was to replace Win7 with Mint. Then I upgraded to Mint 17.3-64 when that outstanding Crown Jewel appeared. Never ANY problems at all, even with a 2200 MHz single-core CPU and 2 GB of RAM. (It's only very recently, in the past two months, that I replaced the CPU and put in 8G of RAM, to bring me close to the 21st century on that machine). BUT--running a 64-bit single-core processor with 2GB of RAM was never an issue, and never will be.
BUT--running a 64-bit processor with 2GB of RAM AND using only a 32-bit OS could have been a very real problem.

Warmest regards...

[Serious, and very sincere disclaimer: the preceding is strictly my opinion; it is not to be construed, in any way, as expert advice. Once again: opinion only. Out.]
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Maya is one of Clement Lefebvre's Crown Jewels
+1
There is a warm spot in my heart for Maya as well.
I was a late to Mint and only experimented starting with Julia,
but with Maya dumping win became a realistic vision.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hey - - one of My Laptops is still running Maya
- - it works really well, and there is no pressing need to "update" it.
nope, to Your Query,, it typically is used Off-line.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

jimallyn wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:Facebook is a HOG of bandwidth
Oh yeah, I'm totally aware of that. Multiple scripts on every page. Real resource hog.
yep. I did a check just now, opened just my "dummy" page alone, scrolled about 3 pages down. This was the change from before to after.

Before Mem~863.4/3523.1MB
After Mem~1118.3/3523.1MB

One facebook page scrolled took up 250 MB of RAM. It's not worth it to me. I avoid it like the plague it is.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The RAM came in today. I installed it, and that is much better! It used to be I could only have 6 Facebook tabs open in Firefox, any more and it would start to choke. After installing the new RAM, I opened 14 tabs and all was fine. I haven't tested it on anything else, but Facebook was definitely the biggest problem, and that is working much better. And it seems like other applications may be a bit snappier as well. Well worth the 25 bucks.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

all41 wrote:Will you go to 64 bit in a future upgrade?
Probably.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is this worth adding RAM to? [SOLVED] (It was worth it!)

Post by MtnDewManiac »

jimallyn wrote:My old laptop gets unacceptably slow at times, especially if I have more than a few Facebook tabs open in Firefox.
jimallyn wrote:I can get 4 GB of RAM in this computer for about 25 bucks.
Ah, but you can remove everything even vaguely related to Facebook - or at least install a good script-blocker - for free!

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Other topics”