SOLVED Meltdown and Spectre

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CutRightSharpening

SOLVED. Re: Meltdown and Spectre

Post by CutRightSharpening »

Humnn.. I wonder how the Apple people that don't have Google accounts are able to view the things I send them. Google drive links to?? Oh,, yeah. They "view" them. They don't try to download or edit them.

BTW, this is important enough to me that I have granted every request to edit or download. Don't understand why someone would want to, but I have granted it.

So. Even though, as I understand it, meltdown/specter are a MAJOR possible issue for servers, I don't need that xorg-server thing??

This,,, >>>> Linux Linux Kernel Image Version 3.13.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP. <<< looks like it would be a downgrade from the 139 package stuff that came in the big package.

Lets face it, everything everyone is sending out to patch/mitigate/block these two things is "experimental" therefore level 4 or 5 things.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Meltdown and Spectre

Post by Spearmint2 »

What's your risk as a Linux user today? None. What are possible vectors for Meltdown to attack you if it becomes a "threat" instead of just a "vulnerability" as it is today. For most their only vectors would be browers, email clients, newer software later on from outside sources (PPA) instead of Mint repository, a user with physical access, or possibly a LAN connection (protected through router, it's firewall, gufw for Linux OS). Latest firefox is patched already. I don't know if Thunderbird is patched yet. For most Linux users today, there is no real threat they are facing at this time. It helps to keep perspective.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-ac ... hunderbird
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Other topics”