SOLVED Meltdown and Spectre

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CutRightSharpening

SOLVED Meltdown and Spectre

Post by CutRightSharpening »

Ok, I have been watching for the upgrades but I am not sure what to watch for..

These showed up today but there is no layman's explanation of what they are or what they do.. Are these some of the Meltdown and Spectre fixes??? They don't seem to match up with anything from here >>>> https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3496

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linux Linux Kernel Image Version 3.13.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP.

Description --- This package contains the Linux kernel image for version 3.13.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP. Also includes the corresponding System.map file, the modules built by the packager, and scripts that try to ensure that the system is not left in an unbootable state after an update. Supports Generic processors. Geared toward desktop and server systems. You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the linux-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.
This update contains 5 packages: linux-image-extra-3.13.0-24-generic linux-libc-dev linux-headers-3.13.0-24 linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic linux-image-3.13.0-24-generic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linux-firmware firmware for Linux Kernel Drivers 1.127.24

Description --- This package provides firmware used by Linux kernel drivers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linux-Kernel The Linux Kernel 3.13.0-lts1

This is a meta-package which points to the release kernel.
This update contains 1 package: linux-kernel-generic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Meltdown and Spectre

Post by Pierre »

do look at this Tutorial as well:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261343
it addresses some of those issues
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
CutRightSharpening

Ok, so this >>>> Linux-Kernel The Linux Kernel 3.13.0-lts1
<<< is one I need to do but I need to do that "timeshift" thing first??..
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Timeshift is your backup, in case anything goes wrong,
- - you can do the upgrade without any backups, if you wish to,
or just leave everything alone, if that it preferred.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
CutRightSharpening

"or just leave everything alone, if that it preferred."

Not really an option I don't think since everything I have read says that the older that machine, the more vulnerable it is..

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2GHZ X 1 32 bit

Currently shows Linux Kernel 3.13.0-24
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

From all I've read, this is the kernel you want. You have to set the update manager to make levels 4 and 5 visible for it to show up. Also remember to refresh the update manager.

Code: Select all

inxi -S
System:    Host: mint16 Kernel: 3.13.0-139-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.12.0
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@CutRightSharpening
Eventually we will all have to throw in the towel for 32 bit systems
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
CutRightSharpening

Spearmint2 wrote:From all I've read, this is the kernel you want. You have to set the update manager to make levels 4 and 5 visible for it to show up. Also remember to refresh the update manager.

Code: Select all

inxi -S
System:    Host: mint16 Kernel: 3.13.0-139-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.12.0
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
I posted in my opening what the update manager is offering..

Here is a screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y5DMfs ... p=drivesdk
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ CutRightSharpening, .......
CutRightSharpening wrote:"or just leave everything alone, if that it preferred."

Not really an option I don't think since everything I have read says that the older that machine, the more vulnerable it is..

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2GHZ X 1 32 bit

Currently shows Linux Kernel 3.13.0-24
On 9 Jan 2018, Canonical-Ubuntu released the Meltdown/KPTI patch for Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros(= the Ubuntu repositories in Update Manager), but only for Linux kernels 3.13.139(= Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), 4.4.108( = Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) and 4.13.25(= Ubuntu 17.10).
... AFAIK, for the users to receive these patched kernels as updates, they have to be running these series of kernels, ie 3.13, 4.4 or 4.13. If they are running kernel 3.16 or 3.19 or 4.8 or 4.10, they won't receive the above updates for Meltdown. Instead, the kernel 3.16 users will be prompted by Update Manager to first "update" to 3.13 LTS or 4.4 LTS. Thereafter, Update Mgr will offer them the Meltdown/KPTI kernel patches.

You do not need to install the "Linux-firmware firmware for Linux Kernel Drivers 1.127.24".

If you are running kernel 3.16 or 3.19, you should first install kernel 3.13 LTS. Reboot, >Grub menu >Advanced options >select kernel 3.13 for booting. If kernel 3.13 runs stably on your computer, then go to >Update Manager >View >Linux kernels >Remove kernel 3.16 or 3.19. This is needed because by default, Linux boots the newer kernel first, ie kernel 3.16/3.19 is newer than 3.13.
... Then Refresh Update Manager and it should offer you kernel 3.13.139 or .140. as a Level 5 update. Install it.

Alternatively, try kernel 4.4 LTS.
CutRightSharpening

Ok...

I need to do ONLY THIS >>>>>>> ..Linux-Kernel The Linux Kernel 3.13.0-lts1

Then refresh the update manager and I should get offered kernel 3.13.139 or .140. as a Level 5 update. And I should Install it.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

sounds like a winner to me.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

CutRightSharpening wrote:Ok...

I need to do ONLY THIS >>>>>>> ..Linux-Kernel The Linux Kernel 3.13.0-lts1

Then refresh the update manager and I should get offered kernel 3.13.139 or .140. as a Level 5 update. And I should Install it.
Yes.

If you are running LM 17.x, the Meltdown/KPTI kernel patch(= 3.13.139/140 or 4.4.108/109/110) will only be offered at >Update Manager >View >Linux kernels and you should install the kernel from there. Only for LM 18.x will the Meltdown patch be offered as a Level 5 update.
CutRightSharpening

If you are running LM 17.x, the Meltdown/KPTI kernel patch(= 3.13.139/140 or 4.4.108/109/110) will only be offered at >Update Manager >View >Linux kernels and you should install the kernel from there. Only for LM 18.x will the Meltdown patch be offered as a Level 5 update.

Nope. Not the way it went down at all..

Installing this >>> Linux-Kernel The Linux Kernel 3.13.0-lts1
Got a HUGE package. Hope I didn't blow through my monthly 4G data allotment.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

If I can get something definitive about what to do with the 3 Updates left, I can mark this solved I think..
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

CutRightSharpening wrote:...
Yes, installing a new kernel requires a huge download(a few hundreds MB.?) but nothing like a forced Win 10 upgrade every 6 months(= about 4GB).

Which LM version and kernel were you running before installing the 3.13 lts kernel.?
... Fyi, a Google account is needed to access your links to Google Drive. You should use an image sharing site.
CutRightSharpening

michael louwe wrote:@ CutRightSharpening, .......
Yes, installing a new kernel requires a huge download(a few hundreds MB.?) but nothing like a forced Win 10 upgrade every 6 months(= about 4GB).

Which LM version and kernel were you running before installing the 3.13 lts kernel.?
... Fyi, a Google account is needed to access your links to Google Drive. You should use an image sharing site.
I provide access to "VIEW" them. No reason to need access to "EDIT" them. I want to retain control of my pictures. All the "image shareing" sites want me to give up control.

As for the original kernel, read back a bit. I posted it.
CutRightSharpening

Where I am at right now..

All I need is a definitive answer regarding whether the following packages are needed to mitigate or prevent Meltdown and Spectre attacks..

xorg-server 2:1.15.1-Oubuntu2.11

Thanks..
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

CutRightSharpening wrote:Where I am at right now..

All I need is a definitive answer regarding whether the following packages are needed to mitigate or prevent Meltdown and Spectre attacks..

xorg-server 2:1.15.1-Oubuntu2.11

Thanks..
CutRightSharpening wrote:
michael louwe wrote:@ CutRightSharpening, .......

I provide access to "VIEW" them. No reason to need access to "EDIT" them. I want to retain control of my pictures. All the "image shareing" sites want me to give up control.

As for the original kernel, read back a bit. I posted it.
Read a bit back - and you'll get the answer.
Side note: ever crossed your mind that others might wanna have even MORE control on data than you do & not have a Google account in the first place?
Gotta love it when people wake up the wrong side of the bed, and insist on "their own ideas" on how to do things...
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

If the update doesn't specify Linux kernel 3.13.0-139(= the Meltdown patch), you do not need to install it.
... If you are already running kernel 3.13.0-139, ignore those Level 5 updates relating to kernels = dangerous updates. Level 4 updates can also be ignored unless you need them for your system or programs.

Ubuntu has yet to release any Spectre patches.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

he has a 32 bit processor. I'm not even sure Meltdown is an issue with those, maybe only the 64 bit processors? I keep hearing/reading (rumors?) maybe it doesn't affect 32 bit processors running 32 bit operating systems.

Intel introduced speculative execution to their processors with Intel's P6 family microarchitecture with the Pentium Pro IA-32 microprocessor in 1995. Google has reported that any Intel processor since 1995 with out-of-order execution is potentially vulnerable to the Meltdown vulnerability (this excludes Itanium and pre-2013 Intel Atom CPUs). Many of the most widely used modern CPUs from the late 1990s until early 2018 have the required exploitable design. (most? not all?) However, it is possible to mitigate it within CPU design. A CPU that could detect and avoid memory access for unprivileged instructions, or was not susceptible to cache timing attacks or similar probes, or removed cache entries upon non-privilege detection (and did not allow other processes to access them until authorized) as part of abandoning the instruction, would not be able to be exploited in this manner.

Here's the impacted processors in the Pentium range.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... cts.html#4

Intel® Celeron® processor J series
Intel® Celeron® processor N series
Intel® Pentium® processor J series
Intel® Pentium® processor N series

https://newsroom.intel.com/press-kits/s ... -products/
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

intel parsing words. Remember, according to Intel, it's not a "flaw".

Is this a bug in Intel hardware or processor design?

No. This is not a bug or a flaw in Intel® products. These new exploits leverage data about the proper operation of processing techniques common to modern computing platforms, potentially compromising security even though a system is operating exactly as it is designed to. Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

Return to “Other topics”