Kernel upgrade hoses VMware

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greyskier
Level 2
Level 2

Kernel upgrade hoses VMware

Post by greyskier »

I am currently running Mint 18.2 on this machine. Being aware about the importance of the current Kernel fixes I clicked on it when I saw Kernel update 4.13.0-26.29~16.04.2. However when I went to start my virtual Win XP machine on VMware Player 12.5.9 it would not start, giving an error message instead. The message pointed to a log file.
Restarting the machine with previous kernel (4.11.0-14-generic) allowed VMware to start properly. I have removed the new Kernel of course. Not sure whether this really need to be addressed as a Kernel issue or VMware issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Kernel upgrade hoses VMware

Post by JeremyB »

I would try installing the 4.4.0-109 kernel and see if VMware works with it. The 4.4 kernel is LTS in Ubuntu, the 4.13 will be unsupported about August

Return to “Other topics”