[SOLVED] Has anybody else experienced virtualbox problems lately?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
otacon14112

[SOLVED] Has anybody else experienced virtualbox problems lately?

Post by otacon14112 »

All of a sudden, without warning (but after some updates), virtualbox installed from LM repositories freezes my entire computer (can't even press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a console) immediately after starting the VM. It can't even get to the point where it even starts to load the OS (which is LM 18.3). I read online it may be because of virtualization, but the thing is I didn't make any changes to the settings. One thing I remember just before it started freezing is that my computer was acting extremely slow, to the point that it took over a second for windows to be drawn (I'm talking about the native OS ...not the one in the VM).

I don't remember which updates were applied just before it, but I do remember some update for intel microcode recently. Does anybody have any ideas about this?

LM 18.3 MATE, 64-bit

Update: As mentioned, the software directly from virtualbox's site works, and solves this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Has anybody else experienced virtualbox problems lately?

Post by catweazel »

That can happen with a kernel update. It's best to reinstall virtualbox.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

catweazel wrote:It's best to reinstall virtualbox.
This does not work with the version from the repository, but upgrading to version 5.2.4 from the virtualbox's site works... at least for me.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Similar problems, as a result of Spectre/Meltdown upgraded my kernel and ran into VB problems. What I found was:
  • VB 5.0.40 (version in the respository) works okay with kernel 4.4.0.109 (this is the latest in the 4.4 series patched for Spectre).

VB 5.2.2+ (has to be downloaded) worked fine with 4.4.0.53 (what I had before the kernel update) but does not work correctly in seamless mode (on a Thinkpad T430)

VB 5.0.40 freezes with kernel 4.13.26 - the problem you have.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

Alright, thanks guys. When I have time I'll dl the one from their site.

Also, one more piece of information: After the first time it froze, I held down the power button to forcibly shut off the computer. When I turned it back on, my Asus Z170-Pro bios failed to boot, saying the overclocking had failed. I let the overclocking software automatically choose the most stable configuration, and I have never had problems with this oc speed. However, when I turned off the computer again, and turned it back on, the error message hasn't come back up yet.

I have an intel i7 6700k 4.0 GHz, an Asus Z170-Pro motherboard, and 8 GB G.Skill 3200 DDR4 x2 (16 GB). I also forgot to mention that I had uninstalled, purged and autoremoved everything related to VB prior to posting this topic. When I restarted and reinstalled it, it had the same problem. I even deleted the vm that I had installed and set up, and created a new one from scratch, but still had the same problem. So when I get time I will try the one from their site.

Thanks again for the info.
Tarzan

Re: [SOLVED] Has anybody else experienced virtualbox problems lately?

Post by Tarzan »

Well I'm still running 17.3 64 bit (supported till 2019)
Being aware of the Spectre problem and when the new kernel came along (4.4.0-109)
I installed it.
It hasn't been a nice experience for VBox, all I get is a segmentation fault when I run VB from the CL.

Now I've tried all versions of VirtualBox from the latest [virtualbox-5.2_5.2.4-119785~Ubuntu~trusty_amd64.deb]
back to
[virtualbox-5.2_5.2.0-118431~Ubuntu~trusty_amd64.deb] without any joy at all.

I'm running a FX6100 Bulldozer CPU with 16g RAM and my 2x 32 bit VM's are no longer available to me
on a 14.x.x.x kernel. I can have them back when I opt at boot time for a 13.x kernel
Any good ADVICE on this UN-RESOLVED for me, issue?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] Has anybody else experienced virtualbox problems lately?

Post by Cosmo. »

Try the latest 3.13.x kernel.

And please avoid confusion by writing about kernel versions, which will most likely not appear in the next 10 or 20 years (13.x, 14.x.x.x).

Return to “Other topics”