system clock erratic

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
electroken
Level 1
Level 1

system clock erratic

Post by electroken » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm

I have read the existing post about this topic but my problem is much different. My time does not shift by multiple time zones as is described in the other thread.
My problem seems to be different than those described. in that thread.
I have my time in 24 hr mode. I am running linux mint 17.3 with latest updates. I have selected to get time from internet and I am in the correct time zone. \
My time varies daily. I set it today and probably by later on today it will be fast by several minutes or sometimes a lot more.
I am on a desktop computer with power on continuously; but the computer does go into sleep mode after an hour.
I bring it out of sleep mode every time by hitting the space bar.
I see no way in the help given previously to change the server for where the time is correlated.
It is very annoying to have to constantly go in and change my system time so I will have the correct time locally for emails and using Skype.
I have searched around the forum for an answer to this to no avail.
Also I had a hard time figuring out how to make a new post (topic etc)for this problem. There does not seem to be an index or I am just not familiar enough with the site. Sorry to confuse anyone.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: system clock erratic

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:03 pm

It's not required to get the time from Internet. Set it to get from local machine . Check if available in BIOS and set it correctly. Set time in Mint settings too.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

sueede
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sueede » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Nice command to check the times is

Code: Select all

timedatectl
And is the battery ok ?

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:44 pm

since you are running a desktop computer with power on continuously,
then Do Replace that Lithium Battery that is on the Motherboard:
- as that does sound like a battery issue.
ie: it may be losing those several minutes, each time that the machine is asleep.

and set your machine time, as what what deepakdeshp has said.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Joe2Shoe » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 pm

The CMOS or Real Time Clock (RTC) batteries on desktops and laptops usually last between 3-5 years, depending on the brand.
Some are rechargeable and most are not, so be sure to replace with the right type.
Most are cheap batteries, so I always replace with Energizer or Duracell every 3-4 years.
I make my own CMOS batteries using the existing 2-wire connector and a good lithium battery, as most I have ordered contain cheap knock-offs.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

Return to “Other topics”