Restore fonts

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Josep

Restore fonts

Post by Josep »

Hi,
I found in my sistem (Linux mint 18.2 KDE edition - KDE plasma Version 5.8.8 ) 722 fonts installed. There are many. I remember had install about five only. For others, I have no idea, but I remember that recently installed there were not so many.
I would like to know if is possible to leave the system with a reasonable number of fonts and reduce the number of fonts, in a more or less way.
Thanks.
8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lysarz

Remove fonts

Post by lysarz »

Fresh install of 18.3 MATE over 18.1 MATE. Way too many fonts. Which ones are necessary to keep?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Restore fonts

Post by austin.texas »

Use the font viewer to view the fonts. Menu > Accessories > Font Viewer
If you do not want the punjabi font (for example), remove it like this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge autoremove ttf-punjabi-fonts 
purge many unneeded fonts with one command:

sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-deva fonts-droid fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-guru fonts-guru-extra fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-kalapi fonts-khmeros-core fonts-knda fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-lohit-beng-assamese fonts-lohit-beng-bengali fonts-lohit-deva fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-lohit-guru fonts-lohit-knda fonts-lohit-mlym fonts-lohit-orya fonts-lohit-taml fonts-lohit-taml-classical fonts-lohit-telu fonts-nakula fonts-nanum fonts-navilu fonts-noto-unhinted fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-samyak-deva fonts-samyak-gujr fonts-samyak-mlym fonts-samyak-taml fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-taml fonts-telu fonts-telu-extra fonts-thai-tlwg fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-tlwg-garuda fonts-tlwg-garuda-ttf fonts-tlwg-kinnari fonts-tlwg-kinnari-ttf fonts-tlwg-laksaman fonts-tlwg-laksaman-ttf fonts-tlwg-loma fonts-tlwg-loma-ttf fonts-tlwg-mono fonts-tlwg-mono-ttf fonts-tlwg-norasi fonts-tlwg-norasi-ttf fonts-tlwg-purisa fonts-tlwg-purisa-ttf fonts-tlwg-sawasdee fonts-tlwg-sawasdee-ttf fonts-tlwg-typewriter fonts-tlwg-typewriter-ttf fonts-tlwg-typist fonts-tlwg-typist-ttf fonts-tlwg-typo fonts-tlwg-typo-ttf fonts-tlwg-umpush fonts-tlwg-umpush-ttf fonts-tlwg-waree fonts-tlwg-waree-ttf fonts-wqy-microhei fonts-wqy-zenhei ttf-indic-fonts-core ttf-punjabi-fonts ttf-wqy-microhei 
The original command was provided courtesy of xenopeek »
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 23#p854649

You can also delete fonts using Nemo as root.
Chose what fonts you want to delete, delete it by pressing Shift + Del
After deleting, you can type this command to update the font cache database:

sudo fc-cache -fv
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Josep

Post by Josep »

Thanks for the answer, but deleting one font after another it's a huge job. I'm going to purge many unneeded fonts at the same time. Even so, the work will be heavy.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Josep wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 am Thanks for the answer, but deleting one font after another it's a huge job. I'm going to purge many unneeded fonts at the same time. Even so, the work will be heavy.
Start Synaptic. Click on the search button. In the search field write font. In the following selection click and mark the unwanted fonts to delete.
If there are dependencies on the selected fonts, Synaptic gives a warning with a detailed list.
Deselect these fonts.
Now you can delete the remaining ones.

That's not a lot of work and very safe to start with.

Return to “Other topics”