disable caps lock and mouse middle click

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 4
Level 4

disable caps lock and mouse middle click

Post by sadhu » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 am

LM 18.2-64 Cinnamon

Actually, I've already fixed the problem mentioned in the subject, but I'd like to do more. I have tweaked xmodmap to remap the caps lock to Left_Shift and mouse middle button to Null, by creating the following ~/.Xmodmap file:

Code: Select all

keycode 66 = Shift_L Caps_Lock NoSymbol NoSymbol
pointer = 1 0 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Now pressing CapsLock is the same as Shift, but Shift+CapsLock toggles the Caps Lock function.

(Being a thumb-fingered typist and mouse wrangler, I never want the mouse middle click to be functional. When I'm scrolling through long documents, I keep accidentally pasting text. Or scrolling web pages, it returns to a previous page or HOME.)

I have a little startup script that invokes "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap"

But I'd still like to make it Ctrl+CapsLock instead of Shift+CapsLock. The second column in xmodmap -pke is for "Shift+<key>". Which columns are for
  • Ctrl+key
  • Alt+key
  • Windows(Super)+key?

Also it would be nice to be able to set special functions for combinations such as Ctrl-Alt, Ctrl-Super, Alt-Super, and Ctrl-Alt-Super (with or without Shift)
How to do this? What is this AltGr and Mode_Switch various web pages are talking about?

BTW I'm using a US standard keyboard. I reset xmodmap by "setxkbmap -layout us"

Thanks
-Sadhu
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 18.3-64 Cinn 3.4.6, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop: 4GB RAM; Dell Inspiron N4010, Core i3, 4G RAM Integr Gfx

Return to “Other topics”