mintupdate check lists missing packages

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
trevorm
Level 1
Level 1

mintupdate check lists missing packages

Post by trevorm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 pm

I have attempted to update Linuxmint Rosa 17.3 Cinnamon to 18.3 (multi boot with Windows, windows not used).
I followied the instructions at https://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-linux-m ... x-mint-18/
and that got me to the point of a simulated upgrade which formally aborts with advice to use apt-get autoremove to remove a number of files.
My efforts per a couple of rounds of the above and using purge, clean and remove leaves me with the last report as above showing-
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
gir1.2-cvc-1.0 gir1.2-meta-muffin-0.0 streamer xawtv-plugins
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

nothing seems to find those files and the closest I got was an advice that they were uninstalled and would not be removed. I think that was per the command "dpkg show filename".

But "apt-get remove" of "apt-get remove filename or the like reports "cannot find filename". (where filename = one of the problem names above)

I have done "update" and "dist-upgrade", and the more promising "sudo apt-get purge" "sudo apt-get remove" and "sudo apt-get clean" with no change in the mintupgrade check report.
It seems the upgrade cannot go ahead until the problem packages are removed, and --force does not seem to be an option.
Can someone please advise what else to try.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Re: mintupdate check lists missing packages

Post by catweazel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Backup your treasured stuff and clean install.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

trevorm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trevorm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 pm

I fear you are correct - but what annoys me is that if mintupgrade is seeing something or reading something, then that "something" should be able to be fixed. That is how in the rest of the world problems are solved.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Post by catweazel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:37 pm

I never do upgrades, choosing always to clean install, so I'm not 100% certain, only fairly certain, that upgrades between major releases, e.g. 17.x to 18.x, aren't recommended. Upgrading from one point release to the next, e.g. 18.2 to 18.3 is and should be painless.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Return to “Other topics”