Unlocking Linux Mint 18.2 xfce

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mrjimphelps
Level 2
Level 2

Unlocking Linux Mint 18.2 xfce

Post by mrjimphelps » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:55 pm

I have been frustrated lately when trying to unlock my Mint desktop. First of all, num lock always goes off when it locks, and I have to turn it back on before typing my unlock password. Secondly, even when I KNOW I have correctly typed my password, it fails and I have to type it again (it always works the 2nd time).

I finally figured out a way which appears to let me in every time: First, I hit num lock three times; then I type in my password and hit Enter. So far, it has worked every time.

Apparently it isn't enough to simply re-enable num lock. I then have to hit a key to start the login process. For example, hitting an arrow key after hitting num lock appears to get the job done. But the easiest way for me to do this is simply to hit num lock three times before entering my password.

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I use a PS/2 keyboard, with a PS/2 to USB adapter. Every so often, the keyboard is unavailable for a couple of seconds while it is apparently resetting itself. So maybe the keyboard or adapter needs to be reactivated when unlocking the computer.

Does anyone else have any experience like this?

keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unlocking Linux Mint 18.2 xfce

Post by keithrboz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Last question first - no, this has not happened to me over a few years.

A couple of suggestions:

Try using the number keys at the top of the keyboard, rather the the number pad.

Try entering your password with number pad but prior to pressing the activation key. I'm thinking the light is out but the lock is active.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Is your computer just locking - or is it suspending? When I use the suspend option on my laptop, it turns off power to its USB ports (I know this because I often charge a little device via USB and it lights up when charging). I don't know one way or the other, but if the computer stops powering the USB port, perhaps this causes some sort of loss of (something)?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

mrjimphelps
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrjimphelps » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Keithrboz -- If I use the number keys above the keyboard, rather than the number pad on the right, I don't have to touch the number lock key in order to be able to unlock the computer.

MtnDewManiac -- I don't know if the computer is locking or suspending. It comes back immediately when I unlock it, and I don't hear any hard drive sounds during the unlock, so my guess is that it is simply unlocking. All keys work when I first begin the unlock process, so I don't think USB power has stopped.

Return to “Other topics”