Data Transfer Rates Slow?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Akacheebe

Data Transfer Rates Slow?

Post by Akacheebe »

If this is in the wrong section, then feel free to move it to the proper one.

I have an older multiboot desktop system that is built on an older ASUS socket 775 motherboard. It has 4GB DDR2 RAM and an Intel 3.6GHz CPU.

I'm attempting to set this system up as a backup drive box and recently purchased two 4TB WD SATA desktop drives to use for that purpose. I'm running Mint 17.3 x64 on an SSD with the 4.4.0-111 kernel and that system also has Windows 7 Pro x64 on an SSD.

The problem I have is data transfer rates between these two storage drives is around 120-150MBs with Windows 7, but only 20-28MBs with Mint? A file that would take 15 minutes to transfer to the other drive using Windows 7 takes an HOUR and a HALF to transfer with Mint 17.3??

So can someone give me a reason why this is happening?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Data Transfer Rates Slow?

Post by Mute Ant »

"two 4TB WD SATA desktop drives" How are these connected to the motherboard?

Posting the text output of the command inxi -Fxz will help.

I think you mean MB/s or megabytes-per-second?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

whilst I'm not able to give a precise reason for that slow transfer rate,
it would be another instance that shows just how highly customized, the Windows System really is.
- whereas the Linux System is Plain Vanilla.
sure, any Linux System can be adjusted, somewhat, but - nowhere near to the level of the Windows System.

note too, that the new & larger sata drives, are only recently supported by various Linux Systems,
as is the new & larger usb flash drives.
- both of which were designed for the Windows System.
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Akacheebe

Post by Akacheebe »

Storage hard drives are connected to SATA ports on the motherboard as are both Windows 7 and Linux Mint 17.3 on Solid State SATA drives.

Yes, MB/s data transfer rates on both operating systems, as listed by each system during file transfers.

Code: Select all

owner@P35Asus ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: P35Asus Kernel: 4.4.0-112-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
           Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5K PRO v: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends v: 1303 date: 12/16/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 7227 
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 3200 MHz 2: 3200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X300] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV370 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-112-generic
Network:   Card-1: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: d800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-3: ASUSTek USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek RTL8192CU]
           driver: rtl8192cu usb-ID: 001-003
           IF: wlan1 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 8017.6GB (79.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD40EZRZ size: 4000.8GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: 16GB_SATA_size: 16.0GB ID-3: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD40EZRZ size: 4000.8GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 11G used: 5.3G (53%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0C mobo: 40.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2445 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0
Info:      Processes: 172 Uptime: 14 min Memory: 713.0/3951.1MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28 
owner@P35Asus ~ $ 
As a side note, I like to use Mint to transfer files because I can do things with those files in Mint that I can't do in Windows. Example: Windows won't show me the file sizes on the Windows Image Backups that I do on all my systems but Mint will. That and those Image files are "Read Only" with Windows and not so with Mint.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swapped the quote tags out for code tags; the code tags retain some formatting that make your output easier to read.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Pierre wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:13 pmsure, any Linux System can be adjusted, somewhat, but - nowhere near to the level of the Windows System.
I'm confused... are you joking here? :shock: Linux is leaps and bounds more adjustable than anything M$ allows their customers to. I'm going to just assume I've misread or something. :lol: Maybe you meant it the other way around. xD I also don't think I've ever heard "highly customized" and "Windows" in the same sentence before, but I'm mostly joking there. lol
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Windows System itself, is quite a bad system,
and as such, you have to add various drivers to enhance the way it works,
so it is these drivers that add the high customization that the Windows System typically has.
& thus, it's this same high customization that can also give many of those system issues that plague the Windows System.
ie: that can give the most grief, when just trying to get the system, to do, what you, the end user, wants it to do.
so, that high customization level often gets in the way of what you wish the Windows System, to actually do.

whereas an Linux System has most of those thing inbuilt into it's Kernel,
and so doesn't need so many extra drivers, as such
( the Windows System also has a Kernel, too )

what I've found, over the years, is that the high customization level of any Windows System,
will often get in the way of adjusting the Windows System to what is required or needed, by the end user.

but, then trying to get any Linux System to be adjusted, often can't be done,
since it usually only has a basic system, which does work well, but can't be adjusted much, since its so basic,

so you often do wind up in a similar position, on Both Operating Systems:
- you can't get it do do, what you want it to do, without some level of modifying it - - hacking it, even sometimes.
the one system, because it is over complicated, and the other system, because it is so basic.

And That, often give rise to the comment: "you like messing around with these computers ?" - - "when they give so much grief" - - "you are indeed mad".
then they all, just shake their head & simply walk away.
- - But, who do they call on, when their PCs go bust ??.

as some recent examples:
- - on the Win-10 v1703,, trying to install an older printer, kept giving an verification error, as the driver certificate was out-of-date,
and the newer Win-10 System, simply won't allow the printer to be installed.
so, there had to be a work-around, via the command prompt, to install the printer manually !. hack the darn thing, that is !.
( you could be cynical, like me, and argue that it's a ploy to get you to buy a new printer )

- - on the Ultimate Edition v5,0 of Ubuntu, which is a tad old, for any Linux System, there was a No Sound Issue,
and the newly installed Ultimate Edition, simply didn't recognize the existing Sound Hardware, on it's installation.
so, there had to be a work-around, via the command prompt, to install the sound manually !. hack the darn thing, that is !.

IE: same issue - - on both Operating Systems, in that you can't get the Operating System, to do, what you, then end user, requires of it.
and - - isn't getting a printer, to work, a basic requirement ? and - - getting the sound, to work, a basic requirement ??.
- - this stuff shouldn't be that hard,, but it is - - for the opposite reasons, too.

thus, with the transfer issue from Akacheebe, you have to work out what the issue really is,
and modify the Operating System, to fix the issue, so on the Windows System, that would mean adding in some new driver,
but on the Linux System, that would mean modify some internal command lines, to increase the transfer issue.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Akacheebe

Post by Akacheebe »

Nice?? All that and not the first suggestion on how to fix it?? :shock:

To date, the Mint OS has been pretty good on installs and updates/upgrades, BUT, tech support here on this board hasn't!! Ran into the same junk a couple of weeks ago when asking for help here with a wireless network adapter and never got it? :roll:

I guess I'll just keep using Windows 7 Pro to move those files around when I need to. :(
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I hope you realise that people aren't paid to help you here; if you want that, consider RHEL. By the way, I'm sorry for having a hand in moving this thread further away from your problems with Mint. Wish I could suggest something for your issue, but that has me baffled, honestly. :?
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Other topics”