Linux changes my computer clock

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
judgedredd007

Linux changes my computer clock

Post by judgedredd007 »

I have a quad boot system (Windows XP, Linux Mint 18.1, Knoppix 8.1, Spinrite 6.0) and I have noticed that when I boot into Linux Mint from the grub menu, after hibernating Windows XP (I use XP 99% of the time), the Linux OS messes up the laptop's bios clock/computer clock but it does it in a very strange way.

When in Linux the clock in the bottom right corner has the correct time but when I then reboot the computer and restart Windows (coming out from hibernation mode) the clock in Windows has to be changed back because it shows London, GMT, time. When I change it it changes back after a while. So I then have to do a restart and go into the BIOS where I see the BIOS clock is on London, GMT, time.

I change it back to my local time, EST, and continue to boot into Windows via the grub menu.

While the clock is now fixed my Outlook express messages that come in still show London, GMT, time.

What the hell is going on? And what can I do about it?

By the way, this problem of the BIOS clock being changed happens every time I boot in Linux Mint. Also, I never had this problem before installing Linux Mint so it is a Linux Mint problem not a Windows problem.

The laptop is a Toshiba M70-337 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 1TB hard drive (with 6 partitions) and Windows XP SP3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Linux changes my computer clock

Post by MintBean »

It's no more a Linux problem than it's a Windows problem. They just work differently and that causes a conflict.
https://www.howtogeek.com/323390/how-to ... l-booting/
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

this is a fairly common problem, when multi-booting PCs.
:(
you can attempt to determine which system is causing this error,
and fix the issue as per the above post.

or, you can simply check that both systems are Internet Time Enabled:
ie: that the system will check itself against the Internet Time Clock,
& within a short time, after being booted up - - usually with 90s as a rule.
the system should then display the correct time in the clock area.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

change it to local time
timedatectl status
timedatectl set-local-rtc 1
reboot
if things don't work out you can undo with timedatectl set-local-rtc 0
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I notice the OP writes
When in Linux the clock in the bottom right corner has the correct time but when I then reboot the computer and restart Windows (coming out from hibernation mode) the clock in Windows has to be changed back because it shows London, GMT, time. When I change it it changes back after a while. So I then have to do a restart and go into the BIOS where I see the BIOS clock is on London, GMT, time.
and in my ignorance wonder whether he first of all closed Windows down completely before booting into Linux Mint and whether this would make a difference.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Return to “Other topics”