Ubuntu MATE HUD

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
epicdragon44
Level 1
Level 1

Ubuntu MATE HUD

Post by epicdragon44 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Hello Linux Mint Community!

I'd like to know if it's possible to install the Ubuntu MATE HUD (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/07/ubun ... lobal-menu) on Linux mint MATE.

If so, how would I do it?

Thanks!

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Ubuntu MATE HUD

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:50 am

I woiuldn't touch it, I'd wait until it's actually supported in Mint. You probably could install it but that just means the system will let you install it. It doesn't mean it'll work.

Also, if you look at the end of that linked article it actually suggests, to Linux beginners, that they install an alpha Ubuntu release. That is idiotic. Alpha releases are virtually guaranteed to break at some point after an update, and there will be a ton of updates. They're really for experts only. Idiotic. Like most Linux blogs, that one is absollute garbage. This one (by a poster here) is good ....

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

... but I've got 95% of my useful Mint support info from ubuntuforums.org and askubuntu.com. However, to use those you do need to understand the similarities and differences between mint and ubuntu. I know that's difficult at first but if you want to run Linux you do need to learn how to become your own sysadmin.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Ubuntu MATE HUD

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:16 am

epicdragon44 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 pm
If so, how would I do it?
By asking this question you are most likely not the addressee for this, From OMG:
Ubuntu alpha releases are NOT recommended for use by regular users, anyone seeking a stable system, bug-phobics, or people in production environments where reliability is a hard requirement.

If you like testing software, finding, filing or fixing bugs, or working on a potentially broken desktop, do dive on in.
Besides that: No Mint version is or will ever be based on Ubuntu 17.10.

Return to “Other topics”